Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #1

Garage
Z06 vs 3.6 986

Yesterday evening I was taking my daily drive in the Boxster. I live in a rural area and was just planning on a nice easy drive around the countryside.

I came up to a four way stop and a black Z06 crossed the intersection in front of me going on one of my favorite high speed roads. It has high speed sweepers and some nice elevation changes, I turned to follow him to see what he was up to.

He was ahead of me by a half mile and I closed on him in the middle of a tremendous right hand sweeper which then turns back to the left and drops down over a bridge then back up again. I closed on him quickly but could tell he was driving in a spirited fashion, we both slowed as we caught up with a car that was in front of him. His car was a nice new Vette with rear tires that had to be over two feet wide.

The car turned off as soon as we topped the hill. It was like dropping the green flag. I saw his exhaust smoke and knew it was on.

We spent the next eight mile completely alone on the road with him trying to leave me in the dust. I am sure that it was quite an blow to his ego to not be able to shake that little yellow Boxster off of his tail. The road is absolutely perfect for GT cars, resembling what you find at Road Atlanta which is an hour from here.

I worked fourth, fifth and sixth and we topped out on one straight section with me in the middle of sixth and I had plenty left. I felt that I could have passed him on two specific occasions but did not choose to do so, I knew the limit of his but he did not know the limit of mine, just that he could not shake me from being welded four car lengths from his plastic rear bumper.

After a few minutes of adrenaline, raw horsepower and that beautiful, beautiful sound the road started to wander into a more poplulated area so I put on my blinker and turned at my normal place to return home.

I hope to see him again really soon.

(Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the making of this film, drivers should operate their cars in a safe and lawful manner at all times, prices are exclusive of tax, tag, dealer prep and options and duplication of any part of this telecast is prohibited by Major League Baseball)

Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #2

Nice read.

Where did you do the 3.6 conversion? If you don't mind telling, how much did it run? What kind of gas mileage do you get now? Did you upgrade the clutch and or suspension when you did the swap?

I'm in Atlanta also.

I need more Cowbell!
Yoadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #3

Garage
Conversion was performed by Autometrics in Charleston SC, they do racecars all day and as I told Gordon the owner, if I ever get to run away with the circus I want to run away with his circus. Cup cars as far as the eye can see.

The conversion was done by the PO, the bill came to over $21K for the job. I bought the car very well at $17k, (it is public info the details are in the for sale section of the site).

It has an AASCO single mass flywheel, headers, big intake and a modified exhaust. 325 hp at the rear wheels. Six speed, solid clutch running 3.6L X51 curves on a tweaked DME. The suspension is stock and is on my list of to do's, I will be doing coilovers and swaybars.

The stock suspension is really good on the roads in my area, they are not the smoothest so a bit softer ride is a plus.

As for gas mileage, right now I have no idea, I just put gas it, I don't really take it anywhere where that matters like on a trip or to work, I just put in $20 at a time and enjoy the afternoons.

The car is a sleeper, that is the joy of it, Mr. Z06 didn't know why his supercar could not shake the cute little yellow convertible. I could see him looking in the rear view mirror. Priceless!