Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:52 AM   #1

Horrible week, quick question...

Well, my wife lost her job Monday (and an Aunt)... now we'll be down 40% income... I'm sure we'll land on our feet, but it's very stressful.

And it gets worse...
I figured I take the Boxster to work to TRY and put a smile on my face. You guessed it... for the first time since owning it (4 years) it did not start I'm reading threads about reasons why. I think I'll start with the plugs. It turns over strong, almost hints at wanting to start. It's a 2000. I had it out in the driveway last night to clean the wheels. It started then, but in retro it didn't seem like it had started the same as it usually does. Kind of hesitated. Battery is strong.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have a list, checking ground connections, relays etc.

I just wanted to get some feedback here first to see if any of you had this happen. That could save me some time.

Thanks,

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 AM   #2

Water/condensation

would be my first suspicion.

Pull the coil packs and examine...even more than the plugs.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #3

I would try getting a read of the OBD II port, maybe the codes will focus your corrective measures. As for the job situation, my condolences, I've been going though it a while now. I started my own company though and next week I have a chance at gaining the client that will make it very solvent. Hang in there, take the unenjoyment, your wife will have a summer to enjoy being alive, it's healing trust me.

I am working independently in health care so I can tell you first hand if you and wifey are in good health you already have THE most important gift of being alive in your favor, good luck!
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 AM   #4

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but the oft-repeated mantra is something like "fuel, air, spark". Mike gave you a hint on why you may not be getting spark, air is unlikely to be the limiting factor, which leaves fuel. Any chance you're out of fuel? Actually, I'm wondering if there's an easily accessible fuel filter you might check (I dunno, I have someone else do all the work on my car). Good luck...it sounds more annoying than serious.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions...
It could be water condensation... reason why is that I ran it for a few seconds to pull it out of the garage and then a bit later to pull it in last night... our temps were 65 and this morning probably 20, or more, deg less... so maybe those combinations were the perfect storm. I did however bring my gas can with me to work... I thought of the "out of gas" idea too so I'll be stopping at the station after work. I'll probably pick up some plugs too at lunch. I can at least rule out three things after work.

Thanks...

and keep the suggestions coming!
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #6

Grab some octane booster while you're at it. Something to dry out the tank just in case you've collected some water in the tank. Gas is the most likely culprit, as bad packs/plugs will make it start and idle like crap. The fuel filter won't be easy to change, but a basic check of fuel delivery is pretty easy.

ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote