Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #1

Wheel spacers

I have a 01 Boxster S with 18" factory wheels. I am thinking about installing wheel spacers and I was wondering if anyone had experience in doing so. If so what size spacer, front and back, seems to be the preferred size. What size wheel bolts. Any drawbacks to installing wheel spacers etc.? I'm not looking for anything radical, just trying to fill up the wheel well a bit. I assume H&R or Eibach are the preferred brand names for spacers. Thank you are any guidance yo can give me.

Lou

LouisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #2

I have a lot of experience with them

I've run various spacers on my 01 s for 7 years now...I've had zero ill effects from them. some people suggest that they add load to the wheel bearings...my experience hasn't shown that...my wheel bearings are excellent with 50k miles on them. the rear bearings, in particular, on the 10 s are very stout.

the key with spacers is to do it right. don't skimp. I do believe you can run into problems if you use cheesy ones. get a trusted brand. and, fwiw, I think the way to go with them is to use them to completely fill the wheel wells...it makes the car look special.

I am, btw, selling a set (doesn't impact my advice, though)...I'm turning my car into a track car and using a set of ccw wheels I found used that I can't use my spacers with...so I'm selling my awesome Kinesis K58 rims and the TechArt wheels spacer I ran with them. the spacers are 21mm and 15mm...and bolt to the hub, then have a center carrier to keep the wheel perfectly aligned and the wheels bolt to them.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #3

follow up

I just re-read you post and saw that you were running stock wheels...I was doing that also before I found the kinesis rims and the the spacers I have for sale were used with my stock 7.5/9" wheels...they fit that setup really nicely with ample room to spare in the wheel wells to avoid any rubbing (and my car is lowered about 1.25 inches)

I can send you pics to show you how that looks if you like...send me your email address.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
mts

I run 15mm Eibach spacers in the rear. I find them to be a high quality product.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote