Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

RTS Roof Transport System Key Help!

Howdy! I have an RTS that came with my Boxster along with two bike racks. The RTS itself has four locks that secure the cross-bars. Unfortunately, the prior owner could not find the keys. I have keys for the bike racks, and they slide in to the RTS locks, but they don't turn. I suspect they are the same type of key (likely Thule).

I tried two different Porsche shops, and they both told me that there is no listing for the key. I am wondering if anyone out there has a key that they could photograph for me and if there is a part number on it, provide it to me. Or, if there is a kind enough soul out there with a spare key, consider sending it to me to try (I would return it, honest!). If it works, I would copy it.

Any help anyone could offer would be great. It is not the end of the world as it is assembled as one unit that I can lift on and off with two people, but it would be nice to be able to disassemble the rack for storage, and to remove the bike trays and add a box if I so desired. Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

Last edited by jameyers22; 03-23-2010 at 05:38 PM.
jameyers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have a RTS, and there is no part number on the key. If I get some time I'll take a picture and post it. However, I do not think the keys can be shared between RTS's, so most likely you are going to have to find someone to replace the locks if that's even possible. The mechanism for the locks is fairly 'complex' at least in terms of being able to just swap in a new lock.

Also, you do not really need the locks unless you are using the Porsche rack accessories. The locks serve two purposes, make the RTS look nice, and keeping people from sliding the porsche ski rack, bike rack, etc. out of the rails. If you are using aftermarket racks you do not really need the locks, because the rack is assembled with screws.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #3

Thanks . . .

Thanks for the info and the offer to post a photo. I am using Porsche accessories (2 bike racks), so I can't remove them without the key ;-( The lock cylinder looks just like a Thule cylinder, but I don't think I can get it out readily - I can see the back end of it, but it is tucked in between the rails and hard to get at with any tools.

I have a friend who is a locksmith who says if I can get a stock key, he may be able to help. Any chance you are feeling generous and have the desire to send me your spare key? I could send you a pre-stamped envelope and will return it ASAP. No pressure though! Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

jameyers22 is offline   Reply With Quote