Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Slight Vibration When Stopping

I have a 04 Boxster with 50k on it. I recently had the brakes serviced and an alignment done. The past two days I noticed that a slight vibration has started happening when I come to a stop. It happens with or without being in gear and with or without the clutch engaged. It happens at about 5mph and does not last long. Any idea what this could be?

cpsp1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #2

When you say you had the brakes "serviced," what exactly do you mean. What was done - new pads only, new pads & rotors? What brand(s) of parts were used?
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #3

If it happens in or out of gear, that seems to point to the brakes. Have you been able to identify whether it comes from the front or rear? It could just be the pads seating but when I changed mine they never chattered or vibrated so this seems unlikely too. Why not take it to where you had the work done? It seems like they should do the "heavy lifting" on this one.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #4

I had the same problem a while ago. Fortunately it was the least expensive fix possible as it was due to the balancing weights falling off after washing the car with the high pressure cleaner. At speed I couldn't feel it, however when coming to a stop it was pronounced.

That would be my first port of call. In failing that, it is going to be a case of pulling the brakes apart and looking for the usual suspects such as warped rotors or jammed pistons etc.

Good luck, I hope it is just a balancing issue.

Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote