Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Unhappy New one for me...raspy exhaust?

I've recently put back my Maxspeed headers and just added the 200cel cats. I briefly had the Maxspeed muffler back on but went back to the stock muffler. All was well till I put the top down.

When cold or even 10 minutes after shutting off then going again, there is what sounds like a rattle or rasp when under load. I've poked, prodded, and banged all over the entire exhaust line and cannot reproduce the noise, plus it is dead quiet inside the car (meaning I can only hear this externally). Typically any rattle (which I have had before) will be audible in the cabin. After the exhaust gets to full temp the rasp is almost gone.

Now who knows how long this has been doing this but I am wondering, is this from a bad muffler baffle or the high flow cats? I've given up on finding any external problem.

I didn't hear this when I had the Maxspeed muffler on. Before I sell it maybe I should put it back on and see.

Anyone else ever encounter something like this? Any things are appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Assuming all your exterior connections and heat shields are solid, my guess is that the raspiness is coming from inside your sport cats. The muffler is usually very stout. Take the muffler off and see if you still hear the rattle.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #3

Garage
I have notced the same sound on my Boxsters and used to worry about it until I drove a 2010 Cayman S and it did the exact same thing brand new so I quit worrying about it.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #4

I've never heard this before with all the exhaust configurations I've run so it must be the sport cats. Well, I put her up on ramps before I left today so that I can do some more work. If I end up with them off I'll sell them too.

Chris
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Hmm, well maybe it was always there just not as obvious. I recheck everything and indeed it is just how it sounds. The old cats are pretty beat with 91k on them. I'd rather keep what I have on so maybe the sport muffler goes back.

Below is a sound clip of the sound.

Boxster Exhaust Sound