Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to bermuditis
Smile New water pump

I just changed the water pump on my 2000 Boxster. What a pain in the neck. I got an after market one on ebay and it has the metal blades. What a pain to take out and install. I should have gotten a flex shaft to help me out with the tight squeeze. I hope this one last more than ten years. Only paid $103 with free shipping. Sliced my fingers on the old gasket getting it out. The pump only had three partial blades left and everything else was gone. Never over heated though.

Last edited by bermuditis; 03-20-2010 at 11:39 AM.
bermuditis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

So the question now is.. where are those missing blades parts ? :P
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bermuditis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
So the question now is.. where are those missing blades parts ? :P
I changed the antifreeze to the red stuff, so my guess is in the old antifreeze I hope.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

I've read that they often end up in the oil/water heat exchanger - but I didn't see an easy way of checking when I replaced mine.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #5

The only place they could be...in your coolant system somewhere.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #6

Some of the bolts for the water pump seem to be behind the pulley. How did you get the bolts past the water pump?
ggentry49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

I too had a hard time installing my new water pump. Cut my self like you did. Except when I tightened the bolts, one of them snapped off inside the casing. Fortunately, it was a secure seal since it doesn't leak. It will be interesting to see how replacing it again will shape up. Anyone got suggestions for something like that? Not trying to hijack thread though.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Viper5,

I changed the waterpump on my 2000 last summer. Sorry, no advice for your broken bolt. I do know however the torque spec. is only 7 ft-lbs. So it doesn't take much force to properly tighten the bolts for those that will change your pumps in the future.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #9

More water pump

Apparently, no one has had trouble getting the bolts off holding the water pump on the block. With the front engine cover off, the top bolt appears to just at the top edge of the pulley. The other two bolts seen from the top don't seem to be a problem. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy a quality water pump; reasonable price; I know its a Porsche!!!
ggentry49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggentry49
Apparently, no one has had trouble getting the bolts off holding the water pump on the block. With the front engine cover off, the top bolt appears to just at the top edge of the pulley. The other two bolts seen from the top don't seem to be a problem. Anyone have suggestions on where to buy a quality water pump; reasonable price; I know its a Porsche!!!
Mine was the URO brand from RockAuto. Costs about $100 and includes a gasket. Seems to be working fine so far after about 5k miles.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #11

Someone else bought one of those e-bay water pumps. Lasted about a year...not a very happy camper. He ended buying a Porsche pump.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote