Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #41

Well on one hand its definitely a shame that the car had the issue to begin with. On the up side it has to be comforting to know the rest of the engine is in that good of a condition after 10 years and 122K miles.

ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #42

Update

Apologies for the delay, been waiting on customs releasing the crank so it can be delivered. its now released and is being delivered today so hopefully this weekend it will be rebuild time
Sideways Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #43

SS, I know you want to sell this car in a year, but I would really recommend you do the internals upgrades from Flat6Innovations and at the very least, the IMS bearing upgrade.

If you did the whole shooting match that they sell, the motor would be rock-solid and you should be able to add at least the hard cost of the parts to the value of the car and it will sell far faster than another boxster without those parts installed.

Just a thought.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:59 PM   #44

Success !!!!

Well after a busy weekend under the boxster shes all sorted

Engine fully rebuilt and reinstalled and is running sweeter than ever

I'm so happy to have her back on the road, I even fitted my new hood yesterday too so I can actually see out of my rear window again !

I have some pics etc of teh rebuild work but cant upload them from work so I will try later on if I get a chance as Im working away from home just now, but its a good feeling knowing my boxster is now parked outside in the carpark instead of at home with no engine in it

p.s. the engine rebuild really was nowhere near as difficult as people madke them out to be, its just very time consuming !
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #45

The new crank fitted into one half of the crankcase:

[link]http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/Driftysteve/?action=view¤t=238a34c1.jpg&evt=user_media_share[/link]

The built up engine ready for install:

[link]http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/Driftysteve/?action=view¤t=62782a9c.jpg&evt=user_media_share[/link]

And the test drive !

[link]http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/Driftysteve/?action=view¤t=6f5bf842.jpg&evt=user_media_share[/link]

I have more pics of the full build but there not yet uploaded as I had more important things to do like drive the car !!!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #46

Hi Steve...you need to cut back the URL to the .JPG extension for [ link] or [ img ] to work. Here you go:

Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 AM   #47

Well done SS - I'm in awe of your expertise.....even if you are a Scot
I hope you have many thousands of miles out of your rebuild.

What's the next project I wonder - keep us informed of the next few miles!!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #48

cheers for fixing my images ! I was at work and the pc there was doing strange things when I was trying to write a post !

I will indeed keep you all updated but so far 400 miles and shes running sweeter than ever

I'm looking forward to the weekend now as Ive been given a free slot at the local porsche garage open day to have the car stuck on the diagnostic machine and have a look over by the technician.

Will be interesting to see there thoughts on it
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #49

Well had my free health check at the weekend by Porsche Edinburgh and all is very well indeed !!!

They were astounded that I had rebuilt her myself and were very impressed with the work Its nice to hear compliments from an official Porsche tech !

They picked up a few little things which I already knew about, one being a leaky window wash bottle, a slightly weaping variocam seal on the left bank and a random misfire code every now and then, which I knew about but was waiting for them to confirm the cause.

I was thinking it was an O2 sensor issue on one bank due to the data log showing it was misfiring under a lean condition on one bank. I showed the Tech the data I had and he agreed so I need to get a sensor ordered up

Pretty happy though ! I have now covered just over 1000 miles in the last week due to taking it away up north with me to work through the week deliberatly to put some miles on the new engine and I have to say I am very very happy
Old 04-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways Steve
Well had my free health check at the weekend by Porsche Edinburgh and all is very well indeed !!!

They were astounded that I had rebuilt her myself and were very impressed with the work Its nice to hear compliments from an official Porsche tech !

They picked up a few little things which I already knew about, one being a leaky window wash bottle, a slightly weaping variocam seal on the left bank and a random misfire code every now and then, which I knew about but was waiting for them to confirm the cause.

I was thinking it was an O2 sensor issue on one bank due to the data log showing it was misfiring under a lean condition on one bank. I showed the Tech the data I had and he agreed so I need to get a sensor ordered up

Pretty happy though ! I have now covered just over 1000 miles in the last week due to taking it away up north with me to work through the week deliberatly to put some miles on the new engine and I have to say I am very very happy

You're the MAN SS, I'm envious and in awe of your confidence and ability to take an M96 and treat it like a short block rebuild.

FYI There are O2 sensors that can be cut and soldered to fit at a fraction of the OEM costs, do a search or perhaps someone will drop the part numbers in this thread, enjoy the Boxster!
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #51

Cheers Eights,

I have looked into the universal O2's but one of my friends is a bosch agent so hes getting me a price for a genuine one through the trade which will end up quite cheap hopefully !
Old 11-25-2015, 01:32 PM   #52

Holy post revival! Hello everyone I am back and have another boxster lol! I've had a long list of cars over the last 5 years since selling my rebuilt 2.7 but after getting married and buying a new house I'm finally back behind the wheel of a Porsche....or at least I will be on Saturday when I collect it!

Are any of you lot who followed my build thread still active on here these days?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #53

Hello SS - I'm still here and after re reading the thread still admire your tenacity.
What eventually happened with the 2.7 and what P car will you be getting now?
Old 11-26-2015, 07:01 AM   #54

Hey Steve! Really didn't know if anyone would still be around!

I ended up selling the 2.7 and bought a TVR...... Big mistake I hated it lol!

I've just bought a reasonably cheap 2000 model 2.5 with full aero kit and a few other nice options on it, Low Mileage too for its age. My plans to but a 996 or something along those lines have been postponed for a few reasons but it will still happen sometime!

I'll stick up some photos when I get it on Saturday!

I also own a JCW my I countryman now too so some of my money went into that as well!

What are you driving now?

Here's the jcw mini