Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Can't lock my car :D

And.....*drum-roll*......todays problem, IS:

I activate the remote, the car locks. Then about a second or two later, it unlocks everything again, and sounds the horn twice, like there's a door or trunk open or something.

Of course, I've checked all the trunks doors,.....they're all fine of course.

Where are the sensors that sense the trunks are shut......?

Would the car thinking the trunk being open, stop the roof working.......I'm suspecting the two might be linked.....or maybe my entire goddam car is a money-pit.....

willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

Use your remote again and get your ear near the door lock assembly on each side of the car. If you hear one of the sides going braaaaap as if it's trying to lock but cannot it's the electronic door lock assembly gone bad.

If it's the driver's side, you can manually lock the door by putting in the key and turning it to the right or left (can't remember) three times and it will override the electronics and you can lock your car. However if the braaap sound comes from the passenger side, you are screwed. The car cannot be locked.

If you have a 97, the part is going to be very expensive because that MY had no airbags in the doors and the part is model year specific. If it's a 98-04, you're in luck, you can probably get an assembly off a wrecked car and if I'm not mistaken, they're all the same across the model years.

Now if your door lock assemblies are not making a braaaap or clicking sound, you need to have the car hooked up to a PST tool and it will indicate what's throwing the error code and you can pinpoint the problem.

It could be as simple as an ignition switch.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Could the center console lid open be your problem? Thought I remember a post about that some time ago.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #4

One beep of the horn means a trunk lid is open or the oddments tray isn't fully closed.

Willd, I do believe one of your door lock assemblies is shot. Lock the car manually with the key (three times to the right or left real fast) and see if both doors are locked. If the passenger side can be opened, it's that side.

If the passenger side locks, it's probably the driver's door.

...and yes, our cars are money pits if they're older and have high mileage and were not meticulously cared for by previous owners (ie fix it the minute it breaks).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

FIXED IT!

Ok, so I still have stuff to fix on the car, but this problem has been sorted!

It was the microswitch assembly that registers the roof is fully closed, the one at the top of the windscreen. I replaced that as I had (still have, just different now) roof issues. I replaced the latch, and bingo, I am now able to lock the car!

Feeling very pleased with myself Now all I have to do is work out what I've done wrong putting all the roof back together.....

willd is offline   Reply With Quote