Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #21

Boxsters are really very easy to work on. I have recently removed my engine, replaced my clutch, replaced my IMS bearing and seal, rear main seal, camshaft chains and shoes etc...all without a lift...jackstands and floor jack only. Invest in a Bentley manual (not the best but should be part of your library) and buy or download a set of manuals. Metric wrenches are a must. A floor jack from Harbour Freight will work fine. I am not a auto mechanic but love to work on cars....I would much rather work on my Boxster than my diesel Suburban....it's a biotch...

suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #22

Thanks for all the great responses!

Now let's play guess that sound game

I have this whining sound (electrical motor whine) when I depress my acceleration pedal... it's not always there it comes and goes.. and usually not heard at high RPM's
Also it's not continuous.. it's more like in waves..

Any ideea what that could be?

It all started after I added coolant (my water level was low and I added some 50/50 coolant bought at gas station) or maybe it was there before and I just noticed it.. not sure

Thanks
Sasha

PS: I wish I could drive another similar Boxster... a lot of things are "normal" to me.. because I don't know any better
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #23

Does the whine change pitch with engine RPM?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #24

Not really... or maybe at higher RPM I cann't hear it anymore.

It's not there at idle, and appears usually at 2-2.5k RPM... after 3K rpm I can't hear it anymore

Thanks
Sasha
Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #25

Not wishing to add insult to injury, but adding non Porsche coolant to the cooling system is bad news, as the genuine P coolant does not mix well with other coolant solutions. Assuming of course that your car is filled with the correct stuff. Worst case scenario is that the different coolants mix into a gell and blocks the system.
I hope yours hasn't done that (wonder if your noise is the water pump) as to rectify the problem you need to completely flush the system - seversl times - to clear it.......
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #26

I think it was just water there.
Porsche has a dedicated coolant? oh crap.. that's news to me
Do any of the retailers sell it? or I have to order it online?

Thanks
Sasha
Old 03-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #27

1999 Porsche Boxter Clutch

I have a 1999 Boxter and had the clutch replaced about 10,000 miles ago and noticed that I have to depress the pedal a bit farther to shift (closer to the floor board).
I know that the clutch should be adjusted ever so ofter. Does anyone know of a site with step by step instructions on how to make my adjustment?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Damon
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #28

Sasha - Porsche coolant can only be bought from a Porsche parts supplier (Sunset Porsche, Pelican Parts etc) and I believe some VW / Audi coolant is compatable.

Damon - you cannot adjust the clutch manually - it automatically adjusts for wear. If your clutch is taking up @ the bottom of travel, you probably have got air in the hydraulic line and it need flushing.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #29

I found Pentosin 1200 at local Napa Store so I'll go with that.
Price is about same as Porsche coolant (which I beleive is also Pentosin)

Ordering online usually takes a week to get it there.. and I wanna change it this weekend

Thanks
Sasha