Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

OBC and Durametric Scanner version 6.x

OK, so I bought the Durametric scanner and am pleased with it. In the included software version 5.x there was nothing about the On Board Computer. I downloaded the beta version 6.x and it allows enable/disable to the On Board Computer amongst a ton of other features but it is a beta version. My Boxster is a 1998 and did not come equipped with OBC active and control stalk. I have been instructed by tech at Durametric that scanner transmits the same command to activate as dealer tool. Just wondering if somebody else has activated at least their external temp display with this scanner. Wanted someone to tell me there's water down there before I dive in this pool, Thanks!

GoodJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #2

I have an 03 S that didn't have the OBC. I added the stalk and wiring and was going to have a dealer turn it on for me (currently I have no temp display or anything other than milage and speed).

However, I already had a Durametric cable and I saw that the beta version of the Durametric software can supposedly activate the OBC so I attempted to activate the OBC myself. Unfortunately, when I go through the menu and click activate, the software says that the OBC is already activated. I could be missing something but I assumed that since it's beta software there was no sense in bothering them about it. I've been checking their website at least once week hoping for an updated version that might turn it on for me.

If you (or anyone else) have been able to turn it on or can shed any light on this I'd be interested in knowing how it was done...
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #3

OBC and Durametric Older Posts...

There are actually some older posts about activating OBC with Durametric and they claim you can't do with early-97 models (no temp sensor in grille) or anything post-2000. Still looking for guinea pig already experimented on before I fire mine off.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain0rs
...................................... I could be missing something but I assumed that since it's beta software there was no sense in bothering them about it. I've been checking their website at least once week hoping for an updated version that might turn it on for me.

Do an update from the application because Durametric is now up to version 6.0.1.7 although their website doesn't mention this (the last time I checked).

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
Do an update from the application because Durametric is now up to version 6.0.1.7 although their website doesn't mention this (the last time I checked).

Regards,
paul...
I got the updated software. That's where the OBC enable has come from...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #6

Just an update. I have a 2004 that I have been attempting to activate the OBC with the latest Durametric software. Unfortunately, there seems to have been some changes with the type of instrument cluster in this year Boxster that does not play well with their software. This may be an issue with 2003 models as well but I am not sure.

Since discovering this problem, I have been working with the folks at Durametric to solve the issue. They have been very good at having me try the software and create logs that are sent to them for evaluation. For my issue, they think that they have a solution and are working on updating the software.

My advice is to contact their technical support group and let them know the issue. With luck, the new release of the software (when they get it finished) will solve my problem and maybe yours.

I'll try to remember to post my results when they have made their latest attempt at fixing this issue.
gsrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #7

I have a 99 986 and I am sure the 6.x durametrics software will work with it. Mine was on when I bought the car. I assumed the temp display was normally on and didn't even realize there was an optional stalk that I was missing. I clicked the "turn on OBC button" in the durametrics software and it returned an error that the OBC was already on of course. Based on that I'm pretty sure that it's sending the right command to the right location in memory.

I think you should be safe turning it on. I won't vouch for the rest of the 6.0 software though. It's definitely still in beta.
ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodJohnny
OK, so I bought the Durametric scanner and am pleased with it. In the included software version 5.x there was nothing about the On Board Computer. I downloaded the beta version 6.x and it allows enable/disable to the On Board Computer amongst a ton of other features but it is a beta version. My Boxster is a 1998 and did not come equipped with OBC active and control stalk. I have been instructed by tech at Durametric that scanner transmits the same command to activate as dealer tool. Just wondering if somebody else has activated at least their external temp display with this scanner. Wanted someone to tell me there's water down there before I dive in this pool, Thanks!
No such thing as just activating the ambient temp display. The OBC is either ON or OFF. The ambient temp display is the only dfeature you can use without the stalk or the switch And, you can only have the ambient temp displayed if you have the temp sensor installed in the P-side front grill - a little black dart-like looking thing with wires coming from it.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv

Regards,
paul...
Good advice, I had just been checking their version history page which is still dated Oct of last year. I had originally tried 6.0.1.0 when it came out and was getting the "OBC already activated" error. I then tried 6.0.1.4 and received the same error.

As per your suggestion, I just updated to 6.0.1.7 through the application and now I'm getting a "can't log in to the instrument cluster" error even though the identification section shows the VIN and the test gong/spoiler/indicators section still works. Considering emailing durametric but not sure how interested they'd be in troubleshooting software that they've clearly indicated is beta
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Good advice, I had just been checking their version history page which is still dated Oct of last year. I had originally tried 6.0.1.0 when it came out and was getting the "OBC already activated" error. I then tried 6.0.1.4 and received the same error.

As per your suggestion, I just updated to 6.0.1.7 through the application and now I'm getting a "can't log in to the instrument cluster" error even though the identification section shows the VIN and the test gong/spoiler/indicators section still works. Considering emailing durametric but not sure how interested they'd be in troubleshooting software that they've clearly indicated is beta
There are many times I have restarted the Durametric application (after turning the ignition key off & on), and some features did work when they didn't a few minutes ago when I previously tried. It's a complicated tool interfacing to complicated OEM software, so I always try and have some patience!

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
No such thing as just activating the ambient temp display. The OBC is either ON or OFF. The ambient temp display is the only dfeature you can use without the stalk or the switch And, you can only have the ambient temp displayed if you have the temp sensor installed in the P-side front grill - a little black dart-like looking thing with wires coming from it.

Cheers!
Is it possible to retrofit the temp sensor into the P-side front grill of early '97's (i.e., was the rest of the wiring already installed in ALL Boxsters)?

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Considering emailing durametric but not sure how interested they'd be in troubleshooting software that they've clearly indicated is beta
The whole point of Beta is to get a mostly functional product into the customers hands and get feedback + bug reports. So let them know!

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
The whole point of Beta is to get a mostly functional product into the customers hands and get feedback + bug reports. So let them know!

-james
I did in fact email them and I sent them over a log from the software. I'll update this thread if I get anywhere with it
Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #14

OK, confirm my logic here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard

Cheers!
So, if the outside temp display is off does that mean that the OBC is not currently activated? I'm concluding that if there's no OBC display showing that the unit is deactivated, right?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:14 AM   #15

no temp = obc not activated

temp but no controlling stalk = obc activated but no way to switch between 'pages' of the obc. the temp display is just the first 'page' of the obc

temp + controlling stalk (or hacked in rocker switch in the dash) = obc activated and you can use the stalk to switch between 'pages' for all the info

I've heard of some dealers that had activated the OBC as a courtesy even on cars that didn't have the controlling stalk just so customers could see the temp display

Talked to support at Durametric and sent some log info back to them. They confirmed that in my case the software has a bug preventing me from enabling the obc but fortunately there should be an updated build of the software out within the next week or so. I'll keep this thread updated
Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #16

Just an update on my dealings with Durametric and activating my 2004 986 OBC.

Sunday night they updated their Ver. 6 software to supposedly take care of the issue and allow activation on the 2004 Instrument Cluster.

Last night I updated my software and gave it a try. Unfortunately, I am not sure if it was successful or not. The software indicated that the activation was successful but I did get an error message after that message. The Instrument Cluster gong chimed 3 times and the trip odometer reset to zero. But, that is as far as I have been able to get. I tried changing the display using the wires I had already tapped in to the connector but with all the versions of cluster and wiring diagrams, it seems to be pot luck if it is correct. Anyway, nothing changed. The only thing that would happen was that when the key is first turned on, the oil level indicator come up and if I grounded any of the wires running to the Instrument Cluster, the trip odometer would immediately be displayed.

Either I am doing something wrong or Durametrics may not have all the bugs worked out. If someone else could try the program and see if they have any better luck. I am hoping my wiring is correct but even that is not certain.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears and would appreciate the help,

Thanks,
gsrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Wow...all that trouble, and no joy. IMHO, you should just go to your local Pcar dealer, slip the service mgr. a tip, and convince him to get one of his techs to just turn on your OBC (and tip the tech too). That way, you'll know for sure if your wiring was done correctly or not, and no more futzing around with the software tool.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #18

I tried the updated version from Sunday as well and was still getting the same errors I had with the other previous versions ("could not log into the instrument cluster"). I informed Durametric and they said they would get back to me.

Only thing I noticed was after using the tool it seems like the honk that normally comes from double-pressing lock on the key remote happens even after a single press of the remote. Dunno if this is related or just my imagination but it stops after a few days of locking/unlocking the car. I haven't noticed any other problems regarding my cluster, all of the needles, displays, and gongs seem to be functioning as normal.

Regarding taking it to a dealer, I called around and all of my local official Porsche dealerships either didn't respond or said that it was not possible to enable the OBC if the car wasn't built with everything from the factory, regardless of retrofitting the hardware. A few aftermarket shops that had access to a PST2 wanted at least $90 for the 2 minutes it would take to turn on the OBC (and cruise since I retrofitted the extra stalk and wiring for that, too) I was hoping the Durametric 6.x would solve my problems since I already had the cable but nothing yet so far. I'm not dying without it so I can wait for Durametric to get their stuff up to date.

Side note - from my experiences with them, they've been very responsive and earnest about solving these problems for the benefits of their customers.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #19

just to be sure:
I have an older style Durametric cable. I believe I read somewhere that these cables are no longer supported with the newer versions of Durametric

right or wrong?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #20

Simple Durametric question:
Can you use the cable/software ona non-Porsche? Chevy, Ford, Benz? Just for simple emission and CEL checks?