Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Simple Durametric question:
Can you use the cable/software ona non-Porsche? Chevy, Ford, Benz? Just for simple emission and CEL checks?
No, I think I remember reading on their website that the Durametric unit is only for use on Porsche.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
just to be sure:
I have an older style Durametric cable. I believe I read somewhere that these cables are no longer supported with the newer versions of Durametric

right or wrong?
Right. You have to buy the new version of the cable to get the new features.

Not sure if they have an "upgrade" option for those with the older cables.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoir
Right. You have to buy the new version of the cable to get the new features.

Not sure if they have an "upgrade" option for those with the older cables.

Regards, Maurice.
Yeah, you can upgrade to the newest cable for a fee - $150. That's what I did late last year (specifically for the OBC activation feature)

http://www.durametric.com/Gen2Upgrade.aspx
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain0rs
I tried the updated version from Sunday as well and was still getting the same errors I had with the other previous versions ("could not log into the instrument cluster"). I informed Durametric and they said they would get back to me.

Only thing I noticed was after using the tool it seems like the honk that normally comes from double-pressing lock on the key remote happens even after a single press of the remote. Dunno if this is related or just my imagination but it stops after a few days of locking/unlocking the car. I haven't noticed any other problems regarding my cluster, all of the needles, displays, and gongs seem to be functioning as normal.

Regarding taking it to a dealer, I called around and all of my local official Porsche dealerships either didn't respond or said that it was not possible to enable the OBC if the car wasn't built with everything from the factory, regardless of retrofitting the hardware. A few aftermarket shops that had access to a PST2 wanted at least $90 for the 2 minutes it would take to turn on the OBC (and cruise since I retrofitted the extra stalk and wiring for that, too) I was hoping the Durametric 6.x would solve my problems since I already had the cable but nothing yet so far. I'm not dying without it so I can wait for Durametric to get their stuff up to date.

Side note - from my experiences with them, they've been very responsive and earnest about solving these problems for the benefits of their customers.
Based on my experience with Boxster, the Honk usually occurs when I've left something open like center console glove box, one of the trunks, or doors and try to arm the alarm/lock the doors. When all's well I get two flashes of park lamps and that's it.
GoodJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sain0rs
Yeah, you can upgrade to the newest cable for a fee - $150. That's what I did late last year (specifically for the OBC activation feature)

http://www.durametric.com/Gen2Upgrade.aspx
For those who don't want to waste 150$ on a simple cable upgrade, you can always switch your Enthusiast old cable for a Professional new cable, they will charge you the difference between the Enthusiast and the Professional version, so you don't really loose money on upgrading first gen cable to second gen cable.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
For those who don't want to waste 150$ on a simple cable upgrade, you can always switch your Enthusiast old cable for a Professional new cable, they will charge you the difference between the Enthusiast and the Professional version, so you don't really loose money on upgrading first gen cable to second gen cable.
Are you saying that this only costs $150, seems more like $400 to me
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Are you saying that this only costs $150, seems more like $400 to me
Exactly, but you have something for your money instead of feeling that you trash 150$ because they upgraded their hardware
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #28

I just got my RMA number from Durametric to upgrade my cable. I bought my cable before there were two versions so it is a unlimited car cable. Durametric said I would receive the professional cable for the $150 upgrade fee.
I think that's a fair deal.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb
I just got my RMA number from Durametric to upgrade my cable. I bought my cable before there were two versions so it is a unlimited car cable. Durametric said I would receive the professional cable for the $150 upgrade fee.
I think that's a fair deal.
Before there was a pro version ??

I have a entousiast version but there was no limit back in time..

Last edited by vipola; 03-10-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #30

Just heard from Durametric and "there is no joy in Mudville"!! Apparently, the 2004 Instrument Cluster is a real oddball and for the foreseeable future, they will not be able to support the OBC activation function for this unit.

Very disappointing to say the least but they did put significant effort into trying to make it work and were good to work with.

gsrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote