Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Harbour Freight Tools

Now let me say this first at Harbour Freight Tools...most of it is crap. But I did find a few things that where a good buy. 1. A hand held abrasive spark plug cleaner...9.95. 2. Plastic pry bars, good and strong...6.95 3. A hand pump that works for pumping fluid in hard to get areas...like your transmission. Good deal that day 3.99 4. Tool box liners .99 ea.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986
Now let me say this first at Harbour Freight Tools...most of it is crap. But I did find a few things that where a good buy. 1. A hand held abrasive spark plug cleaner...9.95. 2. Plastic pry bars, good and strong...6.95 3. A hand pump that works for pumping fluid in hard to get areas...like your transmission. Good deal that day 3.99 4. Tool box liners .99 ea.
Why would you clean plugs? They're not expensive and last a long time.

The risk of getting grit into the motor and loss of seal as the sealing rings are aged pretty much makes this a dealbreaker for me.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #3

they have a lot of decent one time use tools
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Grizzly is a cut above and the quality is on par with Northern Tool.

I do like poking around Harbor Freight though. I bought a bunch of stuff for woodworking there just last weekend.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #5

I'm very satisfied with the all Aluminum floor jack I purchased from H.F.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #6

90% of what they sell, I won't buy (Made in China). But I have purchased a couple of tools from them before and been happy with the results.

I try, mind you try, to purchase what I can that says "Made in USA", Canada or even Mexico first before going off-soil for a product.
root_werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by root_werks
90% of what they sell, I won't buy (Made in China). But I have purchased a couple of tools from them before and been happy with the results.

I try, mind you try, to purchase what I can that says "Made in USA", Canada or even Mexico first before going off-soil for a product.

I was told by somebody once that there was a place in China that was called "USA" (pronounced oosah) and that the govt made them change it because we were thinking all along that we were buying from the GOOD OLE USA and we were actually supporting Usa, China or Made in the USA.

Not sure if its true or not but it made me laugh.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #8

Why clean a plug...easy. I also have some American made cars...I am old school. Also, all of my real tools are American made. I have a Master Mechanic Set by Craftsman I got back in 92'. I have just sold off a bunch of Snap-On other brands from my dad's machine shop. The HF aluminum jack looks like a good buy for a home user. And, I think that 90% is understated...I haven't seen Made In USA at all. We went from an manufacturing country to a retail country...I wonder what Dip Stick thought that was a good idea.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 Boxster
I was told by somebody once that there was a place in China that was called "USA" (pronounced oosah) and that the govt made them change it because we were thinking all along that we were buying from the GOOD OLE USA and we were actually supporting Usa, China or Made in the USA.

Not sure if its true or not but it made me laugh.
Actually, you'll find "Made in US" on a lot of things. Be careful, "US" is more often a China US Commonwealth island of Saipan or other NOrthern Mariana islands.
root_werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #10

I say make China the 51st State. That will teach them that we mean business. I wonder what the heck does a Chinese beer taste like.

Old Hippie Young Heart