Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Instrument cluster light fail

For a while, the lights on the instrument cluster (not the LCDs - they work fine) in my 2002 S would come on intermittently. Now they come on perhaps once a month. I took the car to my mechanic who told me he'd have to pull the cluster and send it to a specialist who could charge as high as $700 to fix some electronics in the panel. I told him I'd prefer to drive in the dark. $700!?!? Does that sound right? Anyone know if it's feasible and cheaper to simply replace the cluster? And is that just a plug-and-play process?

__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 279
More likely it's your headlight switch. Have you ever had that replaced? They fail often.

-james
__________________

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 3
One of the most common signs of a headlight switch problem is the non-functioning headlight, which is in perfect working condition. Another indicator of a headlight switch problem is non-functioning of the low beam head light. If you encounter any of these problems, the headlight switch is repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
__________________
SEO Company|SEO Consultants|SEO
grace1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
More likely it's your headlight switch. Have you ever had that replaced? They fail often.

-james
I'll give it a try. The headlights work fine although I just noticed the warning bell doesn't come on when I leave the lights on when exiting the car.
__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Headlight switch or ignition switch. Something tells me it's the latter...

Cheers!
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
I'll give it a try. The headlights work fine although I just noticed the warning bell doesn't come on when I leave the lights on when exiting the car.
My car doesn't have a bell either, but I think that's normal since you are meant to leave your lights on in some situations in Germany. Would be nice if it dinged if you left it in the headlight position, since that would be most likely unintentional - even though the headlights shut off.

-james
__________________

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Headlight switch or ignition switch. Something tells me it's the latter...

Cheers!

Called my mechanic who said he tested both and they're both fine. I'm looking around to find a used instrument cluster but the only ones available on e-bay are for manual trannies, and I need Tiptronic. Any suggestions where I may look?
__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
If they still come on at all, I'd either suspect a switch as has been suggested or a connector. If it's not a switch, I'd pull off the instrument cluster and massage the pins in the connectors that run into the dashboard area. I'd guess that it's not a problem that would require a new cluster.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
AMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Huddersfield - England
Posts: 4
I have the exact same issue with My 2003 Boxster S, and have actually posted this about a month ago.

Since then i have had had the fulse box open, cleaned the fuses that relate to the dashboard illumination. On the same circuit (which i think is A or B5) is the rear numberplate light, so next time it happens check if this comes on. If the rear numberplate light doesn't come on (check to make sure the bulb works first though) then its all connected and not going to be a problem with your instrument cluster.

I'm not sure if i just had a loose connection as when i banged the fuse box area and moved the wired going into the rear of this the dashoboard lights sometimes came on. Above the fuse box are also relays and i made sure that these we all seated properly. i think i may of had a dry connection somewhere and moving the wires has made the circuit work again.

Although i havent tested the car on the road due to the snow in the UK, everytime I try them in the garage they have worked first time.

Hopefully you may have some luck and find this works to.

All the best
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Registered User
 
slogans7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 244
Thank you, I'll check out the fuse box when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG
I have the exact same issue with My 2003 Boxster S, and have actually posted this about a month ago.

Since then i have had had the fulse box open, cleaned the fuses that relate to the dashboard illumination. On the same circuit (which i think is A or B5) is the rear numberplate light, so next time it happens check if this comes on. If the rear numberplate light doesn't come on (check to make sure the bulb works first though) then its all connected and not going to be a problem with your instrument cluster.

I'm not sure if i just had a loose connection as when i banged the fuse box area and moved the wired going into the rear of this the dashoboard lights sometimes came on. Above the fuse box are also relays and i made sure that these we all seated properly. i think i may of had a dry connection somewhere and moving the wires has made the circuit work again.

Although i havent tested the car on the road due to the snow in the UK, everytime I try them in the garage they have worked first time.

Hopefully you may have some luck and find this works to.

All the best
__________________
2002 Triple-Black Boxster S
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:10 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cleveleys
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
Thank you, I'll check out the fuse box when I get home.
Hi,
i have a Boxster 04 plate and the dashboard lights and the Number plate light doesnt work. was there a fix for this ? Thanks

steell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page