986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   RUF front bumper 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23701)

Johnny Danger 02-17-2010 12:35 PM

MTS,

Above and beyond just "looks", perhaps the most important thing for you to consider when choosing a body kit, is the overall quality of product. Take it from someone who has researched and inspected virtually every aero part known to mankind for the 986 boxster. Regardless of price or prestige, many of these parts, particularly the fiberglass ones, require a tremendous amount of "tweaking' and fine detail work in order to achieve an outstanding final result. Despite how pleased I was at the conclusion of my Hamann body kit project (and I should be since it won 2 best in show awards) , initially it was a nightmare . Indeed, when I first inspected the parts I was convinced that some kids at a vocational school in Germany had made them ! One would think for the price that I paid and the prestigious name behind them, they would have been "ready to go" right out of the box. That was clearly not the case. Again, the nice thing about the Ruf bumper and side skirts is the quality of the material and the excellent fit.

p.s. Here's some photos of my vehicle.

mts 02-17-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
MTS,

Above and beyond just "looks", perhaps the most important thing for you to consider when choosing a body kit, is the overall quality of product. Take it from someone who has researched and inspected virtually every aero part known to mankind for the 986 boxster. Regardless of price or prestige, many of these parts, particularly the fiberglass ones, require a tremendous amount of "tweaking' and fine detail work in order to achieve an outstanding final result. Despite how pleased I was at the conclusion of my Hamann body kit project (and I should be since it won 2 best in show awards) , initially it was a nightmare . Indeed, when I first inspected the parts I was convinced that some kids at a vocational school in Germany had made them ! One would think for the price that I paid and the prestigious name behind them, they would have been "ready to go" right out of the box. That was clearly not the case. Again, the nice thing about the Ruf bumper and side skirts is the quality of the material and the excellent fit.

p.s. Here's some photos of my vehicle.

Thanks for the comments. Based on your comments and others on the forum I have narrowed it down to the Porsche OEM GT3 bumper for the 1999-2001 GT3 or the RUF product. I know both will be high quality and will fit well.

Your car turned out fantastic from the looks of the pictures, but it sounds like there was a lot of work to get them that way.

I recently added some fender flares to my track car to accomodate wider wheels and tires. I went with a lower cost product because it was a track car. When I got them in the finish and fitament were so bad I am pretty sure I could have gone with a much higher cost/quality product and easily made up the difference in body shop labor alone.

Johnny Danger 02-17-2010 01:51 PM

Its amazing how a set of wheels can transform the look of a vehicle.

986rgt 02-18-2010 12:46 AM

Yep THey're Victor Eq. Zehns

Quickurt 02-18-2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986rgt
Yep THey're Victor Eq. Zehns

I feel better, they are not available in 8.5 front and 10 rear widths. That was essential when I was shopping.