Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
a little bit of country bias might be good for the USA right about now. There used to be such an importance placed on where and who built products bought here right in America. That has mostly gone the way of the dodo.

but one thing that is for sure at least for me. when all these imported products I own break down and need to be fixed ill be damned if I use anything but home grown made in the USA tools to fix them.
That's true Lobo. MY father inlaw was also a strict union man (until he started his own company, used nothing but union men and they put him right out of business) and he gave me a ration for putting his brothers out of work buying those German cars. I told him there was absolutely NO REASON American companies could not build a better sports car then the Germans, or anyone else, but they REFUSE to do it.
If you want a Corvette, fine, but why can't one of the big three build something similar to a Boxster or NSX??? We have a gazillion different front engine front wheel drive units that will plug right in behind the seats of a two seater.
A Solstice is a beginning, but has anyone driven one?? What a POS!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 AM   #22
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Consumer Reports places a great emphasis on "value" and hard, cold numbers. All Porsches are terrible values when measured that way. You canbuy a Corvette that's faster in a straight line, has shorter stopping distances, corners better, is cheaper to repair and has more US dealerships for service. There are lots of other cars that also beat the Boxster in many of these regards.

But SOME cars are not appliances. We want to have an emotional bond with our sports cars. CR does not measure that and because of that their automobile ratings are meaningless unless you think of your car as an appliance.

When it comes to making a buying decision about a luxury purchase like a sports car, the only thing that matters is what you think and feel about it. No one can tell you that your personal choice is wrong or a "bad value" if you enjoy it.
Great post.....fixed one word for you though.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote