Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Dallas Area Engine Conversion

Does anyone know of a shop or has had personal experience with a shop in the DFW area that will do a 3.4 or 3.6 engine conversion for my 2.7 02 986? Or a place that can do a big bore conversion and rebuilt of my current engine? Is RUF my best/only bet?

I was quoted $3200 by the local dealership to fix minor leaks from my cams and RMS. At this price I'd almost rather pay triple that and go with a rebuild/bore option that was quoted to me by motor meister. But I'd have to get it out to California. so I'm looking for some place local.

After driving the 911 I am sold on keeping my boxster and doing a swap or bore to get more power.

Thanks,

Tim

:troll: D O O M ! BTW this is not a Troll, it's the Pinky from the original Doom game...sorry I'm a dork

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:37 AM   #2

When you are so close to Georgia, why would you look at anyone other that Jake at Flat 6? Ruf could certainly do the conversion, but Jake would be my first choice. What ever you do STAY AWAY from Motor Meister unless you want to throw your money away.

I also think if you are serious about going that route, you would be better off selling your car and buying an S with a bad engine...you're going to need better brakes and suspension if you add power.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 02-14-2010 at 05:41 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:43 AM   #3

John Gladwill is a top mechanic over at Boardwalk(?) Porsche who will can do conversions. He does alot of work on the side. Also try Hans at Ruf Auto Center. There are a few shops around Motorsports Ranch in Cresson that can do that stuff - Topp Racing IIRC. Down in Houston ProTechnik is a shop that does that work ask for Chris Cesares.

Gladwill and the guys around Cresson are one of the national epicenters of folks building spec boxsters and trying to improve reliability on the engines.
1986 951
http://www.picvault.info/images/537088217_bugsav.jpg

Last edited by eclou; 02-14-2010 at 05:50 AM.
eclou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Awesome leads and advice. I kinda had a gut feeling about Motor Meister. Thanks for the quick replies I guess I'm not the only one who relishes in my Sunday mornings with the Forum. It beats reading the paper
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 AM   #5

Check with Craig Taylor at Taylor Race ENgineering in PLano. HE should know other reputable people in the area. I agree on Flat 6, even if you do an exchange , or ship your motor to them for the rebuild/mod and have someone local do the R&R.
I also agree with suspension upgrades and brake upgrades, but I would look at aftermarket performance stuff that could give you better performance, for the bucks, than trading up to an S.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #6

Garage
In my opinion if your endgoal is a 3.4 3.6 or 3.8 in a boxster a non S is the way to go. Only because you will want to get new suspension anyway, and brakes too depending on how much HP you plan on pushing.

now if all you want to do is the engine then sure get an S... but it will still have too much power for what it is.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote