Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Registered User
9eighty6's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South FL
Posts: 253
Exporting CAN->US

Hi Everyone -

I am in the process of moving from Ontario to New York and I have to change my Boxster over. Has anyone exported a car from Canada to the US? Any idea of what the process is? I believe I need a letter from Porsche stating that the emissions requirements are the same ... that shouldn't be too bad, but what about:

When do I switch to US insurance?
When do I go to the Ministry of Transportation (CAN)? The DMV?

Help me out if you can! I asked a US customs agent and he said that I would be better off selling it (yeah right!) than dealing with the switching over process.

Thanks everyone

1984 - 944 - The first one.
1984 - 928S - The loudest one.
2001 - Boxster - The best one.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 168
I have exported a 2000 Boxster S from Canada to the USA.

It's quite simple.

You need to have registration-insurance papers of the car and some forms from the US border customs office before you can cross the border from Ontario to the USA.

Is your car originally from the USA?

Here is the website I used last year with all the info:



For Customs clearance you will need the shipper's or carrier's original bill of lading, the bill of sale, foreign registration, and any other documents covering the vehicle. You will also be required to complete EPA form 3520-1 and DOT form HS-7, declaring the emissions and safety provisions under which the vehicle is being imported. Vehicles that meet all U.S. emission requirements will bear manufacturer’s label on the engine compartment in English, attesting to that fact. For vehicles that lack such a label, the Customs inspector at the port of entry may require proof of eligibility to import under the EPA exemptions or exclusions specified on form 3520-1.

Vehicles that do not meet all U.S. emission requirements, unless eligible for exemption or exclusion must be imported through an independent commercial importer (ICI). EPA will not allow the vehicles’ release to the vehicle owner until ICI work is complete. The ICI will perform any EPA-required modifications and be responsible for assuring that all EPA requirements have been met. Some vehicles cannot be successfully imported or modified by an ICI, however, and in general, ICI fees are very high.


Dutiable Entry

Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S., whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally dutiable at the following rates:

Autos. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5%
Trucks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25%
Motorcycles. . . . . . . . . . either fee or 2.4%

Duty rates are based on price paid or payable. Most Canadian-made vehicles are duty-free.

As a returning U.S. resident, you may apply your $400 Customs exemption and those of accompanying family members toward the value of the vehicle if it:

Accompanies you on your return;
Is imported for personal use; and
Was acquired during the journey from which you are returning.

For Customs purposes, a returning U.S. resident is one who is returning from travel, work, or study abroad. After the exemption has been applied, a flat duty rate of 10% is applied toward the next $ 1,000 of the vehicle's value. The remaining amount is dutiable at the regular duty rate.

Return to Contents

Free Entry

NONRESIDENTS may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to one (1) year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.


Good luck

I would suggest calling the USA Border patrol customs office of your nearest border crossing into the USA before filling out all forms so you don't waste your time. Just double-check everything with them.

Last edited by Jacques79; 02-10-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page