Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Aftermark HU with Rear Speaker Kit?

I recently purchased a '99 Boxster base with the "High Fidelity" system (CDR220, dash and door speakers, 4x40W Nokia amp). Today I also purchased the OEM rear speaker deck.

I now plan on buying a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693 from Crutchfield which comes with the Metra 70-1787 wiring harness. From reading earlier posts, I understand that the Nokia amp powers my dash and door speakers and that the rear speaker deck is normally powered by the CDR220 headunit.

From researching the Metra harness, I also see that the harness has a 4 RCA plug adapter that that mates the Nokia amp with the Kenwood's pre-amp outs. Therefore, I'm good to go with my dash and door speakers.

My QUESTION is: if I install the Kenwood HU with the Metra wiring harness, am I still able to power the rear speaker deck from the new headunit? If so, I'm assuming the Metra harness must have a connector where the rear speaker deck hookup would be plugged in?

Much thanks...

JD

damelioj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #2

I have an '02 S with the Bose system (6 channel amp, dash & door speakers, plus optional rear deck sub box). My Becker took a crap so I replaced it with a JVC CD/HD Radio head unit from Crutchfield and installed it myself along with new dash speakers. The h/u installation was fairly straightforward and is a vast improvement over the Becker.

Since I really didn't dig into the amplification end of my system I can't give you a definitive response to your question. However, the sub is generally going to be the most demanding part of a system in terms of required amplification. The dinky amp in any head unit won't even come close to providing the power necessary to properly drive a sub, and I doubt very seriously that was the case with the factory head unit.

From the Kenwood you're going to take preamp outputs and connect them with the Metra harness to the factory harness, which feeds the factory 4 channel amp powering your dash and door speakers. If there's a way to connect the factory sub, I'm almost certain it will be integrated into the 4 channel amp.

On my car there's a flat plastic connector for the sub on the right side behind the passenger seat up next to the deck where the sub mounts. To really get a good look in the area you'll need to put your soft top into the service position, like you're going to access the top of the engine. You may have to dig around, but it's probably there. If you can't find it or aren't clear where to look, I may be able to upload a photo of mine.

If you don't have the factory connection you may need a dedicated amp to drive the sub. The sub was a fairly common option. With your upgraded factory system I have a hard time believing the plug isn't there.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #3

Yes you can power the rears from the HU

damelioj,

I did exactly what you're trying to do with an Alpine and the rear speaker deck two years ago. I don't recall exactly what harness I used, I think it was an Audi one that the forums said worked but it came from Crutchfield. I'm sure I could go back and find the paperwork.

I think I had to move some of the pins in either the harness from the HU or from the rear deck and got it all lined up and it works great. The two doors and dash are off of my 4x40 amp and the two rears are off of the HU.

Good luck with it.
EJ_2001_986_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #4

also looking at Pioneer AVIC-X710BT

I'm also looking at installing the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT in-dash navi and moving the climate control down to the storage shelf area above the batwing. I had an AVIC-F700BT in my old Acura and loved it.

I've located a great double-din backet and plate on ebay that has a very stock look for $169. It includes all the required brackets to install the double-din unit plus a trim for the climate control system relocation.

I'm guessing it's the same metra harness for the Pioneer as well. I checked Cruthfield again and it is an Audi harness. Could you let me know how you figured out how to move around the pins to get the rear speakers working? Was there some sort of diagram?

Thanks again for the input!

JD
damelioj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelioj17
I'm also looking at installing the Pioneer AVIC-X710BT in-dash navi and moving the climate control down to the storage shelf area above the batwing. I had an AVIC-F700BT in my old Acura and loved it.

I've located a great double-din backet and plate on ebay that has a very stock look for $169. It includes all the required brackets to install the double-din unit plus a trim for the climate control system relocation.

I'm guessing it's the same metra harness for the Pioneer as well. I checked Cruthfield again and it is an Audi harness. Could you let me know how you figured out how to move around the pins to get the rear speakers working? Was there some sort of diagram?

Thanks again for the input!

JD
If you are looking at the Pioneer adapter kit from treuillonaire then get it.
He's a member of this forum and his kit is awesome and specially designed for our cars.
Do you have a Bose rear speaker unit or a non-Bose unit? (they both have different wiring)
I am driving the front and rears from the Pioneer AVIC and the door speakers from the 4x40 OEM amp.
But it was a little tricky to get it to work.

I can give you more details if you're interested
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #6

Thumbs up Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
If you are looking at the Pioneer adapter kit from treuillonaire then get it.
He's a member of this forum and his kit is awesome and specially designed for our cars.
Do you have a Bose rear speaker unit or a non-Bose unit? (they both have different wiring)
I am driving the front and rears from the Pioneer AVIC and the door speakers from the 4x40 OEM amp.
But it was a little tricky to get it to work.

I can give you more details if you're interested
I am ready to do the same thing can you please give me the details on what you did. Thanks!!
dacsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #7

The CDR220 is not that bad...until you turn it up. My 1964 Chevelle on AM with a Reverb unit attached to rear speakers sounded awesome to the Becker unit.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacsman
I am ready to do the same thing can you please give me the details on what you did. Thanks!!
You can find it all here:
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19599

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote