Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #1

Can a D.S.P. unit be installation ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone put in a DSP unit in with the standard stereo cdr23 into a Boxster 1999 that didn't come out with a dsp unit???? Can it be done or not??? I have a new DSP unit but don't know how to wire in.... If this can't be done please tell if it can please tell how???? Or do I just throw the DSP unit thing in the bin and don't worry about trying to get installed... Anybody out there can HELP thanks heaps........................

Bellster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #2

I'm sorry that I can't tell you how to do this, but I can share some information I've seen over the years.

If you have a CDR 23, you face a significant challenge installing it in a 99 Boxster. Assuming the Australian and U.S. audio systems are similar, the CDR 23 is a MOST (fiber optic based) system and your 99 Boxster isn't. You would have to find a MOST amp and cables if you want this to work.

I think most people that have contemplated this project discover that there are better, less expensive and less labor intensive options available.

If you have a CDR 220, I think it can be done but you need to have the DSP amplifier and the cable that connects the head unit to the amp.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the info... Easy way out forget about it... Porsche Australia can only tell me that if this year Boxster come out with a dsp all wiring in harness. This one don't come out with dsp but has a amp but still don't know if wiring is already in wiring harness......Thanks again was just hoping easy fit plug and go........
Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #4

Sorry my bad it is a CDR 22 will this help me install or not ready??? Thanks again..........
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
I've got the factory DSP in my car, and I'm not all that happy with it. All it seems to do is change the echo effect on the sound. I don't like the echo at all, and I'm seriously thinking of scrapping the DSP and the amp for something else.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #6

You may want to search for "DSP" on Renntech. There were quite a few "hits" when I checked.

Here's are a few that may answer your question:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22521&hl=dsp
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3894&hl=DSP
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13419&hl=dsp

They seem to say you need the controller, the 680 amp and a special wiring harness - pehaps more. I don't think I saw a post from anyone who made it work with a CDR-220 or CDR-22.

There also seemed to be a few folks that, like j.fro, were dissatisfied with the DSP. So you may want to consider your options.

Good luck.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 12-04-2009 at 02:03 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote