Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to boostedA41.8T
tall boxster owners!

I am new to this forum as i currently own an Audi, however i have been considering buying a boxster. I had looked at honda S2000's but at 6'3" i was just to tall to justify buying it. I have always loved the lines of the boxster but i was wondering if i would just be teasing myself by going to test drive one because i might be too tall? Are any of you lucky boxster owners around my height 6'3" and fit comfortably? Any help would be great! thank you

boostedA41.8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #2

I'm 6'4", and wish the steering wheel tilted up a bit. I'm also as far back as the seat will go, and could definitely use a few more inches. Not enough room to recline the seat, either.

Go sit in one at a dealership, and see for yourself.

Regardless, I enjoy the car very much, and gladly take it on short trips. The 1000 mile trip from where I bought it left me kinda sore, and the ride was very stiff and a bit noisy.
wingboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #3

I'm 6 foot 2 and my Boxster fits me like a glove. I had to play with the seat a bit to get it just right, but it is do-able.

For the record I've got a 987, I have no experience with the 986, though I don't imagine it to be much different.

Just a warning... If you go to a dealership and sit in a Boxster you just might be leaving the dealership in said Boxster!

Happy driving!

PB
PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #4

i am 5' 9", 155 pounds. i think my boxster was designed for me.....(well, people my size)
i truely fit like a glove.... its like second skin.

:dance: :dance: :dance:
kajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #5

I'm 6 3 1/2 and fit fine in a 987 Boxster that I recently took out for a test drive -- no problem! I am definitely going to have one within a year once a house is sold and a move is made in Southern California. Go try it out for yourself, but I agree with another person on this thread, be careful because you won't want to let go and the Boxster can easily become an obsession!
revnrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #6

I'm 6' 2" and agree with the other posts. It's a snug fit, but one of the few cars in its category (not class, 'cos it's in a class of its own ) that I can fit into. The earlier models with the 4 spoke wheel leave a little less room around the knees, but it's still very comfortable considering its sporting roots.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 AM   #7

excellent!

Thanks to all who responded. I cant wait to go drive one now that there is hope! I will hopefully have time this afternoon to go to the dealer take my first ride in a boxster! If i fit i hope to have a boxster this month . Oh yeah and one more thing, how are the insurance rates on a base boxster? I am pretty young (19) and i just wonder if it will be alot more than my Audi. The Audi is an 01 and im looking at probably 97-99 boxsters. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedA41.8T
Thanks to all who responded. I cant wait to go drive one now that there is hope! I will hopefully have time this afternoon to go to the dealer take my first ride in a boxster! If i fit i hope to have a boxster this month . Oh yeah and one more thing, how are the insurance rates on a base boxster? I am pretty young (19) and i just wonder if it will be alot more than my Audi. The Audi is an 01 and im looking at probably 97-99 boxsters. Any thoughts?
It'll be a lot worse than your Audi. At the time I had my Boxster as my only car, I was paying rounghly 1200 per year, 29 year old male, clean record, New York State. For a 19 year old, it'll be much higher. Hell, I paid 1600 per year on my POS 87 Plymouth Duster when I was 19.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:44 AM   #9

I'm 6'2" and it is a snug fit, but like has been said before, once I fiddled with the seat a bit, it fits like a glove. I haven't taken a long road trip in mine yet, but I am looking forward to it. I drive 45min to an hour each way to/from work and I find it disappointing to arrive at my destination, as I still want to drive.

On insurance...I pay $80 a month for full coverage/$250 deductible. But I'm 46 with a clean driving record. I'm afraid that my driving record may be in jeopardy, as I find it difficult to get anywhere at less than 80 mph.

You just need to go drive one. It will be all you need to decide to buy one. After my first test drive in a very well worn, poorly kept '00 Boxster, I was completely sold on what car I wanted. It didn't take too long for me to find my '01 in excellent condition. Plus, my wife thinks it's HOT!

Good luck in your search. :dance:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #10

5'-7' 175 pounds (hey 11% body fat!)

Don't know what it is about tall guys and SPorts cars. I think us little people do all the test driving so they build the cars for us
But seriously at my last Autocross during the drivers meeting I looked around and all of us were between 5-6 and 5-9. Only a couple of guys were over 6 feet.

"Formula One? Oh yeah dem funny little guys in dem funny little cars" Richard Petty.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:18 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
In response to insurance for a young driver, I'm 22, have a ticket (19 over) and lost my "no accident" discount due to an uninsured motorist claim that I had to make. All that being said, I pay $720 every 6 mo. for full coverage. And that's with an actual agent -- I'm guessing it'd be less with a discount carrier.

That's less than I paid on my BMWs!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #12

$1600 a year here in lawsuit happy New Jersey. Haven't had a speeding ticket in 10 years and only one minor intersection mishap 7 years ago.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #13

I fit!

I was able to make it to the local Porsche dealer today and I sat in a few boxsters and i actually fit! I dont have to much extra space but I think I can deal with that. Now all I have to do is find a buyer for my Audi and i can get a Boxster If any of you guys know anybody in the market for a 2001 A4 that is Audi Certified let me know Again thank you to everyone who replied and gave me all the helpful information i cant wait to get my boxster!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #14

That's great news! :dance:

Any ideas on what you'll be looking for in the Boxster, meaning color, options, etc...

Guess it's time to visit the Porsche website and start building your Boxster eh!

So how hard was it to walk out of the dealership after you drove the Boxster?
PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #15

boxster

It was tough not to leave in the Boxster, however i think i was able to do it because the salesman i was dealing with didnt want to give me the time of day. All he saw was a young guy who he thought was wasting his time . So needless to say he will not be getting my money. I would love to get a White or Silver Box if possible so we will see what happens. I got a sign though tonight that showed the Boxster was meant to be, like an hour after i got back from the dealer i had a call on my car. The guy kinda lowballed my asking price but if we can meet at $17,500 the Box will be here really soon!!