Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #1

Navigation option?

Any thoughts/opinions on this option for those looking to buy a Boxster?
Does it include upgraded (Bose) sound system as well - or just GPS?

I would just slap a Garmin on the windshield - but thought I would ask since I haven't seen a thread on the subject.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #2

I use a Garmin, with excellent results.

Bose and Navigation are 2 seperate options on a 987 Boxster. Navigation is called PCM- Porsche Communication Management. They charged crazy money for the PCM option.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #3

I have an AT&T BlackJack 2 with Google maps downloaded. It uses the built in GPS and give me real time info. And its free, unlike the ATT app that come in the phone (monthly fee). I downloaded it into my sisters Blackberry and it work great for her too.

When it first starts, it give you a rough location based upon the cell towers. Once the GPS finds itself, you get a dead on location. I do have an unlimited data plan.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #4

If you're buying a brand new boxster, the GPS works a lot better than older models. Plus, with PCM you can get bluetooth for your cell phone... which I have in my BMW and really wish I had in my boxster since I have to shift gears.

I'm a big fan of not having crap all over my dashboard and windshield. If I could get my radar detector and GPS built into the dashboard for a clean look and no cables, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's just a very expensive annoyance to accommodate.

Don't forget about the update DVD's with built-in GPS units. They're expensive year after year... about the same price as a brand new dash unit.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote