Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #1

box is at the dealership---

Left the car at my local dealership for servicing and a few problem check ups.

1. oil change (9500mi on the odo)--
2. 2nd gear and 3rd gear moves out of place slightly when shifting- it doesnt pop out of gear, but enough (.5 inch) to make a difference).
3. white smoke came out after start up (once) when I left it sitting for 2 weeks
4. Odd smell in the rear (burning rubber/clutch)- I hear its pretty common due to the heat from the exhaust in the rear + debris? Iono

I'm pretty uptight when it comes to maintenance of my other cars, but I feel like I should be especially on top of it when it comes to the box- esp since I still have CPO warranty on it.

I'm already missing it and its only been 2 days (I can't pick it up until this Saturday due to work).

While there, I also told the tech to go ahead and install my spinlocks (I hope they wont rape me a new one)

Do you guys reckon the spinlocks and oil change will cost me a small fortune?

Only a few more days!!!

DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #2

Regarding items one & three, if you have any safe place to do it and the mechanical aptitude and interest, oil change is easy peasy. White smoke on boxer style engines is a normal phenomenon, rubber burning smell is not, could be a spark plug tube leaking oil on hot engine parts if it's an oil burning smell.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 AM   #3

Is this a scheduled service or just an oil change?

Just an oil change - expect $75 - $150
Simple scheduled service - $250 - $400

Spinlocks - not sure what you want to do here - are you buying them, having them installed or just adjusted?

Smokey on startup - they will do nothing because there's nothing wrong

2-3 lever feels offset - they will probably do nothing and say - "they're all like that" But they might adjust linkage - I would think the CPO warranty should cover it but if not expect at least $100.

So your bill will be between $75 and $500 + spinlocks.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 AM   #4

Thanks for all the prompt replies.

I normally do all my installs/maint on my own (for my other cars at least). But seeing how I no longer have a warm garage to do the work, I just left the box with the dealership.

I always thought a smokey startup meant a bad ASO? And hopefully the sychros are fine

Definitely not a schedule service, just wanted to be proactive for the winter seeing how I rarely drive my boxster.

I purchased the spinlocks from suncoast after receiving advice from some board members, the DIY instructions looked pretty simple, but my lack of time and place to install it properly (warmly at least) left me with the dealership option.

Thanks again for the input! only a few more days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Is this a scheduled service or just an oil change?

Just an oil change - expect $75 - $150
Simple scheduled service - $250 - $400

Spinlocks - not sure what you want to do here - are you buying them, having them installed or just adjusted?

Smokey on startup - they will do nothing because there's nothing wrong

2-3 lever feels offset - they will probably do nothing and say - "they're all like that" But they might adjust linkage - I would think the CPO warranty should cover it but if not expect at least $100.

So your bill will be between $75 and $500 + spinlocks.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANMKII
Thanks for all the prompt replies.

I normally do all my installs/maint on my own (for my other cars at least). But seeing how I no longer have a warm garage to do the work, I just left the box with the dealership.

I always thought a smokey startup meant a bad ASO? And hopefully the sychros are fine

Definitely not a schedule service, just wanted to be proactive for the winter seeing how I rarely drive my boxster.

I purchased the spinlocks from suncoast after receiving advice from some board members, the DIY instructions looked pretty simple, but my lack of time and place to install it properly (warmly at least) left me with the dealership option.

Thanks again for the input! only a few more days!

Some smoke at start up is normal and not the AOS, if smoke is pouring out like a fog machine while driving that is indicitive of a faulty AOS. Slop in your shifter has nothing to do with worn synchros.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Some smoke at start up is normal and not the AOS, if smoke is pouring out like a fog machine while driving that is indicitive of a faulty AOS. Slop in your shifter has nothing to do with worn synchros.
awesome! That really put me at ease.