Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #1

Garage
Red face Thinking of removing clutch slave cylinder

I have a very loud and irritating squeeeeek coming from the trans/clutch area when I depress the clutch pedal. I know it's not the pedal, but coming from the bell housing area itself. A member on PPBB told me that if it squeeks when cold then goes away when warm that it's likely the pivot arm (?) inside etc. He said that if it squeaks regardless of being cold or warm (like mine does) that it may be fixed by removing the slave cylinder and lubricating the pushrod where it contacts the actuator arm. I have just enough free time over the holiday weekend to get into trouble. My question is: has anyone had any experience with this? If so what kind of lubricant would you use? I have lots of good quality marine lubricants laying around that I could pick from.

Thanks in advance and have a great Thanksgiving!
sean

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
First, You cant lube the slave cyclindar push rod for 2 reasons, 1 it doesnt ever require it cause its got a rubber sleve over it, 2 the metal push rod never comes into metal on metal contact with the pivot arm due to the rubber sleve it has over it.

The sqweak you hear is the throwout bearing, they get worn out and when cold they make noise and then when they warm up, the little bit of lube inside will start to provide momentary sqweak relief.

only way to cure that noise is transmission removal. well, Spoiler removal, rear bumperette removal, rear bumper removal, stress plate removal, cross support removal, exhaust removal, remove exhaust manifold while attacthed to cats, then remove the transmission and unclip the throwout bearing and lightly grease the transmission input shaft so the new throwout bearing slides on the input shaft smoothly while you drive.

FYI theres a 12 point screw on the lower bellhousing that holds transmission to the engine, its hard to remove cause the diff housing on the trans buldges out 1 inch directly behind the head of that 12 point screw.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #3

Squeaking clutch slave cylinder

Use the search function for this thread of mine from earlier in the year and it will give you some insite into this common problem.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 11-26-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote