Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #1

White Smoke

I know a few posts have been written on this but I am getting white smoke on my 99 Boxster with 151,000 mikes. I have replaced the AOS so I dont think that is it. The car has gotten worse since the weather got cold. It was not bad in the summer. Now especially after it sits overnight I get white crop duster type smoke until after I have driven about 2 miles. It has been like this about two months. Then it goes away. This week I went on a business trip and came back and it is acting a little worse. The more it runs the better it is but still smoking white and running rough a bit when started cold. It still goes away after about a mile or two. I have added coolant about 4-5 times in the past 4 months. I dont see any froth under the oil cap. The coolant cap does take alot to turn and when it does come off you can feel the pressure wooshing out. I do smell anti freeze while driving and the windows cracked. I also smeel it faintly when I get close to the exhaust. Could this be the heat exchanger???? It is the least expensive to fix. How do I tell the difference between it and somthing worse like a cracked head, slipped sleeve or better a head gasket? Suggestions? Thanks for your review. Dennis

Last edited by bustingear; 11-22-2009 at 02:22 PM.
bustingear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #2

bump bump bump
bustingear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. My car gets white smoke when I start it after not driving it for a day or two, and the amount of smoke gets worse the longer it sits and when it is cold.
I would also point out that you need to relax and enjoy your Boxster. White smoke does not equal a slip sleeve or cracked header.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #4

Have you tried jacking the car up and/or opening the service cover and seeing if you can see/smell coolant? It could just be a leaking hose?

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote