Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #1

Boxster Lug Key

I have a 2000 Boxster S and I need a lug key. I purchased the car beginning of this year and decided to put new rotors and pads. Now to my horror the lug lock key is no where to be found. I have the orginal 18" turbo wheels on the car that came with it. Does anyone have a spare for sale. Jerry :ah:

jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #2

There is not a single lug bolt key socket

But perhaps a dozen. ask the P-car dealer to sell you one after he loans you his set and you figure out which one it is. Or ask him to sell you 4 normal bolts and loan you the set and do the "which one " in his parking lot, replacing as you go.

I presume you have looked all over the spare tire cover, in the tool kit, in every cubby, etc.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

Just find a tight fitting socket and an impact, spin them off. Replace them with normal lug bolts. No one steals wheels anymore.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #4

Begging to borrow the dealer's set sounds like what I'd do.

Once you get 'em off, keep 'em off. Absolutely +1 on buying 4 regular lugs - the "security" they offer does not make up for the hassle.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #5

Dealer should be able to let you borrow the key but they'll likely try to sell you a new set of lock lugs because it's cheaper to buy a new set than to order you just the key.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #6

I agree to ditch the lock set...anyone want to buy mine?

They are more trouble than they are worth!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Just find a tight fitting socket and an impact, spin them off. Replace them with normal lug bolts. No one steals wheels anymore.

Is it really that easy??

I took my car to an indy mechanic to get axle boot replacements done, and he called later that day to say he couldn't work on it because they couldn't find the lock nut lug adapter. (I had been flushing my brake lines---which is when I discovered the torn boots---and stupidly neglected to put all the wheel changing equipment back in the frunk when I was done.)

These guys clearly do a lot of European car work: there were 3 other Pcars (one a 911 of 1980's vintage), a Jag XKE and a MGB there at the time. When he called with the bad news, I asked if there wasn't some jury-rig way he could coax off the lugs, and he said "No". (The place was like 20 miles away, and I really didn't want to have to drive all the way there if it wasn't necessary.) Was he just being lazy?

Though this was the first time I had used this shop, all-in-all I was really impressed with what I saw, and the workmanship on my car seemed good.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #8

Being Careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Is it really that easy??

I took my car to an indy mechanic to get axle boot replacements done, and he called later that day to say he couldn't work on it because they couldn't find the lock nut lug adapter. (I had been flushing my brake lines---which is when I discovered the torn boots---and stupidly neglected to put all the wheel changing equipment back in the frunk when I was done.)

These guys clearly do a lot of European car work: there were 3 other Pcars (one a 911 of 1980's vintage), a Jag XKE and a MGB there at the time. When he called with the bad news, I asked if there wasn't some jury-rig way he could coax off the lugs, and he said "No". (The place was like 20 miles away, and I really didn't want to have to drive all the way there if it wasn't necessary.) Was he just being lazy?

Though this was the first time I had used this shop, all-in-all I was really impressed with what I saw, and the workmanship on my car seemed good.

I'm guessing your mechanic didn't want to mess up your locking lug bolts. As was said previously, if you force them off you're going to have to replace them rather than put them back on.

BTW: I took mine off as well and if anyone wants a set cheap, let me know.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote