Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #1

Another hardtop question!

so I may be going to look at a "used" hardtop tomorrow. unpainted and never been put on a car!

my question is, what all should I ask for in addition to the top to make sure I get a complete installation, and if there were differences in year model hardtops, how can I make sure it will fit my MY00?

also, what can I expect to pay for a good paint job (gloss black)?

thanks! (and wish me luck)

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #2

Here's the guide I followed when installing my hard top:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10440

The article tells you how to install spin locks. These are the devices you need to secure the top to the car.

Tops from 97-2004 models are interchangeable. I have been told that tops from the 97 models are prone to squeaks, but I have no personal experience with that.

My top is from a 98 and it has "ears" at the point where the top curves around to meet the back of the door windows. They are plastic covers that hide the attachment points for the optional roof rack. The ears look a little goofy, but they don't affect the fit or function of the top. Here are some pictures of the top on my car.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/KevinH1990/IMG_1342.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/KevinH1990/IMG_1341.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n161/KevinH1990/IMG_1340.jpg

I think a good paint job would cost between $200 and $500 depending on labor costs in your area and quality of the job. Your painter may ask to remove some of the trim which will need to be replaced. If you go that route, it will increase your cost. (I don't know how vital it is for the trim to be removed. I was lucky enough to find a top in the color I needed.) Ask to see some of your painter's finished work and talk to friends and neighbors to obtain references. There was a post on this board a few weeks ago describing a poorly painted top.

That is interesting that you could find a top that has never been installed or painted. I thought the tops came painted from the factory, but I could be wrong. There was a company that made fiberglass hard tops based on the Boxster OEM top. OEM tops are made of aluminum, so it is easy to tell the difference.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 11-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

My experience was that most places want $500 to $700 to paint a hardtop. Of course, that is a hardtop that is already painted. It may save you some money if they don't have to sand the old paint.

You want to make sure all of the trim pieces and weatherstripping are included. I'm not sure how you can do that, but if you have to replace all of that stuff, it would cost you a couple hundred dollars.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote