Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2005, 11:20 AM   #1

Smile Newbie here - need guidance

Hey folks..... I am new to this site. Hopefully will be a regular here.

I am in a process of ordering or buy my first Porsche. I am thinking about getting a 2005 Boxster S in the early Summer. I have probelms in deciding what "MUST Have" option I need. So far I decide to have:

1. Porsche acitive suspension management
2. Sport chrono package

Any other items I should consider? TIA.

Later,

underDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #2

Litronic lights are one of the best options. I would also think about 19" wheels if they don't come along with the PASM package. If you can afford it I would think about the PCCB brakes. Along with being among the best production brakes in the world, they will make your car very unique as this is a very rare and expensive option on the new boxster S.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's likely that i am) but aren't the PCCB brakes prohibitively expensive to maintain when it's time to do the rotors, change the pads etc.? I seem to recall a recent British Porsche publication, the name of which escapes me at present, pointing this out. And does a Boxster REALLY need that kind of stopping power, outside of a dedicated track environment? My 2001 has WAY more brakes than nessecary at the track, lap after lap, no fade or lack of power. Even my previous car didn't have that kind of stoppage!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #4

Options

Heated seats, litronics, trip computer, cruise control, the 19" rims Carrera, set of winter tires with rims, the ceramic brakes I would discard. I agree with Ice Box it is ludicrous to spend $ 8K in an option in which the new Boxster S type lowered the bar to 107ft from 60 to 0. Now that is fast breaking, S model shares brake system with 997.
Money to burn options Nav radio, ultra radio, interior do dads, cosmetic items etc. Once you sit in this car and you listen to the purr of the engine who cares about the radio! I usually use it to listen to traffic reports. The engine music is like listening to Beethoven's Fifth over and over and over. That is my opinion.
Whatever you do congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to our forum.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #5

I don't know. I would imagine that the rotors would last the life of car unless you're hittin the track a few times a week and even then who knows. But I do agree with you and pilot, they are definatley not necessary and they cost a ton. However, it would be cool to have an option that virtually no one else has.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #6

Talking

"I would imagine that the rotors would last the life of car"

I would love to see that guarantee in writing!

:dance:
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Lux

PCCB is nothing more than pure bling. The original version of the ceramics wasn't even good on the track. The braking power of the standard brakes are already one of the very best. Bottom line, save your money.

Not a lot of people mention this (or have it), but a "must have" when I bought my car was the sport seats. I can see how they would be uncomfortable for some "wide" people but everyone that has sat in my car has mentioned how awesome the seats are.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:15 PM   #8

Thanks for the inputs guys.

I have never done tracks and most likely will not. However, I do like to drive hard especially in the less than optimal driving conditions, ie. rainy nite in the back country roads is my favorite.

Lux, what is the difference between basic boxster and sport seats? More leather and more support?

This year the only light upgrade is Bi-xenon headlights? Is this worth the money. I, myself, don't care about the blue tint lights look. I find that they give more glare in the rain or fog. A bit more warmer lights work better in the fog. Anyone have them, how do they compare to the regular Helle E-code lights?

Hey Pilot, like you I thought the engine sound is much sweeter than any sound system. I know I will skip Bose Digital surround sound system upgrade. The S model comes with AM/FM CD with sound package plus, I think it is enough for my listening pleasure.

Has anyone have rain senor option? Is it really practical or just another bling. I don't really need one, but it comes with a package. IF this is useless, then I will get my items individually. TIA.

Later,
underDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 10:18 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
I thought lintronics were a standard on the 987? if so, you should be good to go -- no need to upgrade that.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #10

They are not standard even on the 987, but they should be. It's not just because they look cool Dog, they illuminate the road substantially better. The candle power output is like double that of the haligens.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:01 AM   #11

The #1 cold weather option is a hard top. This really is a must have for winter driven cars. It extends the life of that very expensive cloth top. Labor to replace a top is not cheap either.

As for me my 2000 s came with a windstop and the mesh wind stop thing that goes in the roll hoops. THat would have cost me $350 if the orginal owner didn't spring for them. Also, he went for the full audio upgrade and boy am I glad he did.
I driven many convertibles and this is by far the best "out of the box" top down audio experience I have ever had. 80 mph and no distortion, crystal clear.

I do however wish the owner had added the aero kit package. Sideskirts are a must have IMO.

and I would suggest looking into a used Boxster. Aside from having better styling Its an awesome bargain. I can honestly say there is not one thing on my S I don't like a great deal. Get the 987 in a couple of years when they have refined it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-07-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:49 AM   #12
Lux

Quote:
Lux, what is the difference between basic boxster and sport seats? More leather and more support?
Actually, they're not too different (as far as the 986 is concerned). Just a little more support up in the shoulder area. But the way I look at it, seats are something you use 100% of the time. So, you definitely want to get what you prefer.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote