Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Wheel touch up paint?

My wheels are not curbed but a couple of them do have a lot of little nicks and scrapes in the paint. I have seen services that will repaint wheels, but I wondered if there is a cheap diy way to just touch up the blemishes?

I have the 18" turbo twist style wheels in standard silver finish. Is there a place that slls "touch up" paint for the wheel?

If so, any of you do it and can you comment on how it turned out?

Thanks

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #2

touch up isn't too bad, but like the article below says, you don't want to go crazy and paint large sections of the wheel. wurth makes a silver wheel paint that is a spot-on match for our stock wheels.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #3

I have an Arctic Silver car ... the touch up paint of the same color is a surprisingly excellent touch-up color for my stock wheels, as long as you realize that silver is one of the hardest colors to touch up in general, so set expectations accordingly.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #4

You can respray them yourself but it does take a lot of patience for cleaning, masking and spraying and some good know how on how to and where to blend properly so it looks seamless. It can be done well but unless you spray everyday, you'll need some practice. It helps too to start w/ your smallest repairs first and practice practice practice before moving to larger ones.

Wurth Silver (Silber) matches when you lay it down right and then clear. I think 1 can of color is supposed to do 2 complete wheels but my advice is to buy at least 2x the silver of what you think is needed. Then practice A LOT off wheel until you're 100% comfortable in how the silver flake lays down so you can match the existing. This way you will not run out in the middle nor feel rushed to start spraying for real. It'll be easiest to take the wheels off the car and work on them at table height too. Your back will greatly appreciate it

Now, if you only have scratches that aren't all the way thru to the paint, consider instead just wet sanding (w/ 1500 or 2000 grit w/d) and polishing to bring them back up. The clear coat is tough and comes back nicely w/ a little bit of work.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 10-15-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote