Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #1

Bad engine mount replaced...

I ordered a Pedro's Racing Mount a while back - and started a thread commending Pedro for his style of doing business.

I was planning to keep the mount sitting around for use when/if I felt my stock mount let go. However, I was Jonesing for a project today, so I decided to install my mount, even if I didn't need it.

I needed it.

I hope the photos accurately depict how shot the stock mount on my Boxster with 30K miles and 5 autocrosses. I genuinely did not expect to find the OEM mount torn in several places.

The Pedro mount transmits more motor vibration to the cabin, especially when engine braking and high revs, but it is definitely tolerable. On the plus side, my 5-speed's reluctance to shift into first when the gearbox is cold seems to be fixed.

So, if you are assuming like I was that your stock mount is probably fine because your Box is low-mileage and/or you don't beat the he!! out of it, you may want to give that some additional thought...

Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

Some additional comments...

When I ordered the part from Pedro, I also got an install quote from a very reputable San Diego shop: $150. After doing this myself, $150 seems like a very fair price if you're not inclined to tackle it on your own or you'd need to acquire more than $150 worth of tools to complete the install.

I used this install as an excuse to finally buy a set of metric ratcheting wrenches ($50); if Pedro will buy my core from me, I'll break even on the install.

Things to have for this project:

* Ratcheting metric wrenches
* A set of Torx bits (I needed these to remove the splash panels)
* Metric socket set, including extensions and deep sockets
* Torque wrench
* Breaker bar (just in case - I only needed this for one bolt)
* Pedro's install guide

I removed the access panel behind the seats to get better access at the top passenger-side bolt on the top of the motor mount. You could do everything from below if you prefer - Pedro does not mention the access panel in his instructions.

I used ramps for the rear wheels, and I also jacked up the front and used bricks under the front wheels. Getting the front end up really makes working underneath the Boxster easier for those of us with no access to a lift. In addition to the bricks, I used jack stands up front... just in case.

If you use a floor jack to support the engine, don't overtighten the release screw on your jack - this will make it a little less stressful when you're trying to drop the motor a couple of inches. I always crank the stupid screw down too hard when I'm changing tires, which makes lowering the jack smoothly very difficult.

I supplemented the jack under the motor with a jack stand - I don't know how far that sucker will drop with the mount off, and I didn't want to find out by using my head as a gauge.

This project is very, very DIYable. I'd rate this easier than the EVOMS intake install - about the same as headers.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #3

how would you describe the "before" vs. "after" in terms of how the car feels / drives?

my car has 75k miles and i believe my mount is stock / never replaced. it must need to get changed!

one thing I haven't considered / but wonder about - is suppose my car goes into the shop, and I jus thave my mechanic install a standard / stock OEM mount... are the odds that I will notice just as much improvement as I would with one of these racing or enthusiast mounts from Pedro?

i sometimes wonder is the improvement is really noticed because the stock part has broken...and ANY new part wil make it better..or would someone taking out a brand new OEM mount notice an "improvement" by puttin in the Pedro mount?

another question - since you went with the "racing" mount - do you find the "increased vibration" to be objectionable or no big deal?

on a past car of mine, I swapped out a similar engine mount with something like Pedros..it was stiffer / poly mount and when it first went in, I noticed quiet a bit of increased vibration, but also much crisper/bertter steering feel...and over the next few days, the "vibration" that initially seemed to be "a lot" seemed like no big deal.... so i kinda wonder on a car like tghe boxster, where I only drive it once in a while, and it's supposed to be "fun" and a good handling car, and "vibration" is not a big deal...maybe the racing mount is what i want..unless it vibrates so much it makes the steering wheel shake and it really is a big no no on a street car..but I can't imagien that's the case...

what do you think? is hte vibration *that* bad?
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.

Last edited by 23109VC; 10-12-2009 at 09:58 AM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
how would you describe the "before" vs. "after" in terms of how the car feels / drives?

my car has 75k miles and i believe my mount is stock / never replaced. it must need to get changed!

I did mine two months ago, the smoothness of shifting was immediately improved as was some shaking I felt occasionally on hard deceleration. As for the ease of installation, I found it to be a bit of a puzzle even though only simple hand tools are involved, patience is priceless. A correct size crow foot would have been gold too but the one bolt will come, just takes a week or two when you can only bite and turn it a 1/4 each time..

Last edited by eightsandaces; 10-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #5

what is the consensus on whether the "racing" or "enthusiast" mount is the best to get???

the fact that he offers both makes me wonder if the "race" one is too stiff....but then again, it is a "race" car... its a porsche! and I like to push my car hard...so i can handle a little vibration in the steering wheel.... and I know it's very subjective..but is it REALLY that bad of vibration?

anyone get teh race mount and then HATE it and have to swap to the enthusiast mount?

anyone who has either, feel free to chime in on WHICH one you installed and how you like it!

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #6

If I were to do this I'd replace it with the 987 OEM revised engine mount first, then if that breaks again I'd replace the rubber mount with Pedro's or Wevo's.

http://www.wevo.com/Products/ChassisProducts/WevoChassisProducts-BoxsterSSEngineMounts.htm
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
anyone get teh race mount and then HATE it and have to swap to the enthusiast mount?
Enthusiast mount is the racing mount with straight-thru holes drilled on 4 corners, as illustrated on Pedro's product page.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

I figured I'd start with the racing mount. If after a while I find it's too aggressive, I'll remove it, drill out some material like Pedro does, and wind up with an enthusaist mount.

Quote:
Enthusiast mount is the racing mount with straight-thru holes drilled on 4 corners, as illustrated on Pedro's product page.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #9

sd_boxster -

what is your impression so far? you like the mount or think it's "too" much vibration? i guess I'm wondering if as soon as you got it installed did you think "OMFG" my car is going to shake apart..or was it just "hmmm...i can detect a little vibration in the steering wheel"....

i can live with "some" vibration. i know some cant....which may be "who" the enthusiast mount is for.

i'm tryhing to figure out if the racing mount would be so obnoxious that it really has no freakin business on a street car, or is it perfectly fine for an "enthusiast" who can live with some minor vibration.

i'm going to order one tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #10

The racing mount adds significant but not overwhelming vibration. It's most noticeable at about 3250ish RPM.

I do not mind it, but I'd be lying if I told you it is not noticeable.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #11

No, it's definitely not an "OMFG my car's gonna shake apart" - but the vibration is transmitted via 4 chunky bolts into the body, so you definitely feel it, more through your butt than through the steering wheel.

Quote:
did you think "OMFG" my car is going to shake apart..or was it just "hmmm...i can detect a little vibration in the steering wheel".
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
No, it's definitely not an "OMFG my car's gonna shake apart" - but the vibration is transmitted via 4 chunky bolts into the body, so you definitely feel it, more through your butt than through the steering wheel.

I wonder if it tends to place more torque on the remaining mounts with the potential to cause premature failure?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #13

i'm confused, does the Pedro mount ONLY include the little center rubber thing and you press it into yhour existing mount...or does he send you a whole new mount/bracket and you just swap them in/out? from the photo SD-boxster uploaded, it looks like he was pressing out the center piece....

when i looked at Pedro's page, I got the impression he was sending a bracket with the mount alrady installed into the bracket itself. you just unbolt hte one you have, and then bolt in the new one.... is that how it goes?

i'm right now torn between whether i do the enthusiast mount, or go for the new "upgraded" 987/cayman mount. not sure which is ultimately "better"?

i don't mind some vibration if there is a benefit to it, but i don't want to get vibration just to have vibration. some people have reported doing the cayman mount and also being very very happy with the result, and I don't beleive it results in any vibration at all...but maybe the end result is "not as good" as the Pedro mount in terms of improved shifting.

is there any improvement in overall "handling" feel of the car...like when you turn or corner, does the car feel more solid / rigid with this new Pedro mount? I did an engine mount on a prior car (which was also broken) and the result was firmer steering feel...as well as better shifting

just wondering what the results really will be...and what is the best mount to pick

Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #14

When I replaced mine, I'm pretty sure Suncoast said there is only the Cayman mount now, period. The rubber has been redesigned but what I thought was cool was all the triagular cutouts in the aluminum to reduce part weight even more...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #15

thanks.

i'm on the fence between the cayman mount and the Pedro mount. Pedro's is cheaper. I could go with his enthusiast mount, and not get much vibration....

then I get the fun job of trying to explain to my wife why the car went into the shop for a water pump and will come out with a water pump, an engine mount, and maybe a techno brace....

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #16

Quote:
i'm confused, does the Pedro mount ONLY include the little center rubber thing and you press it into yhour existing mount...or does he send you a whole new mount/bracket and you just swap them in/out? from the photo SD-boxster uploaded, it looks like he was pressing out the center piece....

when i looked at Pedro's page, I got the impression he was sending a bracket with the mount alrady installed into the bracket itself. you just unbolt hte one you have, and then bolt in the new one.... is that how it goes?

i'm right now torn between whether i do the enthusiast mount, or go for the new "upgraded" 987/cayman mount. not sure which is ultimately "better"?

i don't mind some vibration if there is a benefit to it, but i don't want to get vibration just to have vibration. some people have reported doing the cayman mount and also being very very happy with the result, and I don't beleive it results in any vibration at all...but maybe the end result is "not as good" as the Pedro mount in terms of improved shifting.

is there any improvement in overall "handling" feel of the car...like when you turn or corner, does the car feel more solid / rigid with this new Pedro mount? I did an engine mount on a prior car (which was also broken) and the result was firmer steering feel...as well as better shifting

just wondering what the results really will be...and what is the best mount to pick
Received mine yesterday, it is the entire bracket. The lower price for "core only" applies if you send in your old mount to be "reconditioned" and converted to the racing or enthusiast mount. I bought the entire assembly since the cost of shipping between Australia and the U.S. for me to return the bracket was cost prohibitive.

I hope this helps.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #17

i asked my mechanic to take a look at my engine mount while he had it in the shop to do my water pump. he told me it looked like it was worn and may have initial signs of cracks, but he said when he seems them "fail" he notices a clunk when he shifts or takes off from a stop...something like that... he said I had no clunking and he basically said he'd be happy to change it for me, but if it were his car, he'd probably just leave it....

my car has 75k miles. is it possible that a car with my mileage still has "good" mount or are they virtually ALL bad by my mileage???? i was under the impression that by my mileage, ikt would be toast...

my car had a new motor put in at 15k and the car has 75k...so my mount likely h as about 60k on it as he stated these get changed if the motor gets replaced...

Old 10-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #18

Let me try to answer a few of the questions...

... first, if you have an OEM mount, they only last 45,000 miles.
If your mileage is beyond that, I guarantee it is cracked.

The 987/Cayman mount is much softer than the older 986 mount. Some customers complained about the 3000 RPM vibration and Porsche removed even more material and made the material even softer. They now only last 35,000 miles.

Most people find the Enthusiast's Version their choice, even if they AX and DE.
The Racing Version I only recommend for a track car. The vibrations are very noticeable. I'd only recommend it for a dedicated track car.
The Racing version also provides less power loss to the rear wheels.
Both versions provide much better shifting.

When it's brutally cold (below 20F) the remanufactured mounts will transmit much more vibrations for the first 10 minutes or so, until the engine's temperature warms up the synthetic rubber compound and makes it more flexible. In warmer climates, it's a non issue.

The TechnoMount is supplied as a bolt-in piece, complete bracket, not just the center.

The TechnoMount will not harm the transmission mounts which are gel-filled.

Hope this helps.
If you need more info feel free to contact me.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Last edited by ppbon; 10-17-2009 at 01:34 PM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #19
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Orange gel?

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #20

I don't disagree with Pedro that there is a decent amount of vibration. In my opinion, the feedback from the motor to the seat of my pants is fine by me - one more way to detect if something is acting up and shut down before it's too late.

I have a tendency to drive in second too much instead of downshifting to first at the AX - the extra vibration at ~3200 RPM should be a great reminder to downshift and make some extra power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
The Racing Version I only recommend for a rack car. The vibrations are very noticeable. I'd only recommend it for a dedicated track car.