View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
sd_boxster

Some additional comments...

When I ordered the part from Pedro, I also got an install quote from a very reputable San Diego shop: $150. After doing this myself, $150 seems like a very fair price if you're not inclined to tackle it on your own or you'd need to acquire more than $150 worth of tools to complete the install.

I used this install as an excuse to finally buy a set of metric ratcheting wrenches ($50); if Pedro will buy my core from me, I'll break even on the install.

Things to have for this project:

* Ratcheting metric wrenches
* A set of Torx bits (I needed these to remove the splash panels)
* Metric socket set, including extensions and deep sockets
* Torque wrench
* Breaker bar (just in case - I only needed this for one bolt)
* Pedro's install guide

I removed the access panel behind the seats to get better access at the top passenger-side bolt on the top of the motor mount. You could do everything from below if you prefer - Pedro does not mention the access panel in his instructions.

I used ramps for the rear wheels, and I also jacked up the front and used bricks under the front wheels. Getting the front end up really makes working underneath the Boxster easier for those of us with no access to a lift. In addition to the bricks, I used jack stands up front... just in case.

If you use a floor jack to support the engine, don't overtighten the release screw on your jack - this will make it a little less stressful when you're trying to drop the motor a couple of inches. I always crank the stupid screw down too hard when I'm changing tires, which makes lowering the jack smoothly very difficult.

I supplemented the jack under the motor with a jack stand - I don't know how far that sucker will drop with the mount off, and I didn't want to find out by using my head as a gauge.

This project is very, very DIYable. I'd rate this easier than the EVOMS intake install - about the same as headers.