Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #1

got rear-ended pretty bad.... anyone got rear ended before in their boxster?

some j-walker poops out, taking her sweet time crossing, 2 cars in front of me stops, i am waiting and wham!! i get nail dead square by a mazda B2300 pick up.
i had a fender bender about 2 weeks ago in a parking lot and i barely felt anything but the damage was pretty big.
and this time when i got slammed, i thought my entire rear end would be gone but there was hardly any damage at all????

anyone had similar incident? what was the repair cost normally? i am sure the inside the bumper is pretty much done. i got hit pretty hard, to a point where i think i should go to see a doc for my back.

ps. the other driver wanted to just give me $100 and call it even....
ummmmm......i dont think so....

kajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #2

I would be worried about damage to the exhaust system. Almost every Boxster I’ve ever heard of that was rear ended ( or backed into something ) basically had to have the muffler replaced.

And since that person hit you . . . . cha ching . . . its on them right?
Old 03-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #3

Unhappy

The issue here is FRAME DAMAGE. In a Porsche, you have two serious issues to deal with.

While you own the car, you worry about frame damage and its impact on the quality of handling. So, having is diagnosed and repaired properly it very very important.

Upon resale, you worry about frame damage and PAINTWORK. To protect yourself you should:

Follow insurance and legal requirements to the letter. Do NOT let this bird off the hook, keep his insurance on the hook for a quality repair.

Find a quality shop that can diagnose the frame with a laser machine. If needed document the damage and require that the repair be made to original spec. KEEP records to document this.

Re: Paint work. Find a shop that will respray to factory specs verified by a paint meter. If they don't know what a paint meter is, find another spray shop.

If you want to call me on this, do so.

760-522-7327.

Be careful out there.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #4

thanks for the tips guys, i think i will do that. my insurance adjuster is telling the other partys insurance (AIG insurance) adjust is lagging. and he had the balls to call me and semi-threaten me that if i am making a fraudulent or unnecessary claims, that i will be in big trouble. when i asked him when he will be estimating my car for damages, he said in about 14 business days. i was really peed off by this so i gave my attorney a call (my brother) and my car is going into the shop on monday. and Q, yes, since he hit me, i am going all out and have them check every little detail. my exhaust is okay, but my rear spoiler is little off and also noticed the bumper is pushed underneth the spoiler. due to this, the internal screw tabs of my tail-light broke. i going to miss my box for few weeks.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
Sorry to hear that, your boxster was one of the nicest ones ive ever seen
phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 03:36 AM   #6

You'll note AIG is in the headlines as being in the head lights of the Justice Dept. and their current spokesperson - lady actor on West Wing TV program - was arrested for DWI driving ....drum roll please... a BOXSTER.

Jim
wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:20 AM   #7

Actual Experience

I got hit like you standing still and bang got rear ended. I looked at the hit and did not observe the muffler so like a gentleman I let the woman go since she had a kid crying in the car. About a week later the muffler starts grumbling louder and I take a look. It was hanging by a thread. $ 1,100.00 for the repair Audi 90 Quattro muffler.
HAVE IT CHECKED OUT NO MATTER HOW IT LOOKS TO YOU!!! Other members of the forum have made excellent points regarding possible damage. Believe me that all of their suggestions are truly worthwhile to have checked out.
Q is correct, the person that rear ended you has to pay including the deductible. Since it won't cost you a penny to be satisfied that nothing happened to the car take it to a reputable body shop place. Preferably one that deals in Porsches. Sorry about your hit.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #8

just update, the insurance adjuster gave me an estimate on my box and it was only for $450 including labor. this is major BS. they didnt even take my bumper down and i dont how they can do this????
my tail-light only should have come out to over $200.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #9

File an appeal right away with the insurance company. Personally, I would take it to several quality bodyshops for my own estmate. Make sure they know Porsche and frame work too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajita
just update, the insurance adjuster gave me an estimate on my box and it was only for $450 including labor. this is major BS. they didnt even take my bumper down and i dont how they can do this????
Old 03-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajita
That's a bunch of crap! I agree with Bruce, file an appeal right away. Don't let them get away with that.
PasadenaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I get too upset and too frustrated by legal matters when the other party pulls dirty tricks.

I have to give lawyers credit...its a vicious world, and from my small dealing in it, I would want no part of it.

Good luck...don't let the legal gremlins get you :troll:

-Kevin

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:31 AM   #12

"I get too upset and too frustrated by legal matters when the other party pulls dirty tricks."

I am with you on this, my first emotional response is a sawed-off double barrel. But you cannot do that anymore.

What is the world coming to?