Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Gurgling and Popping/MAF

I have been getting some gurgling and popping on startup when the engine is cold. Car runs great when warmed up and I am getting no CEL's. I cleaned the throttle body, the MAF sensor and I cannt find any vacuum leaks.

I plan on replacing the fuel filter and putting in new plugs (one year old) and coilpacks (original). Hopefully that will fix the problem, if not, I suspect it could be the MAF sensor (replaced about 30K ago).

I freaked when I called Suncoast to see what a MAF would cost, $477.00, they said they retail for close to 700.00. Thats nuts, is there a cheaper alternative for my MAF (996.606.124.00), thanks.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #2

maf best price

I just bought a new maf for my 98 box from auto haus for $169 shipped to me in one day, I ordered it at 3 pm it was here the next day and I am in MN unbelievable I am very impressed , suncoast wanted almost $400 for the same one I think they said $369 to be exact ,same bosch part # way to much $$$ auto haus phone #1800-240-4620
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #3

"I just bought a new maf for my 98 box from auto haus for $169 shipped to me in one day, I ordered it at 3 pm it was here the next day and I am in MN unbelievable I am very impressed , suncoast wanted almost $400 for the same one I think they said $369 to be exact ,same bosch part # way to much $$$ auto haus phone #1800-240-4620"

Thanks for the input. When I checked with ********************************e, they said they did not have the direct replacement for my MAF with my .124 part number, but an updated unit costing 225.00 that would require a reflash of the ECU. The folks at Sunset said they had the exact replacement (450.00) .124 that would not requrie a reflash...

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I bought the exact same MAF from Sunset 3 years ago for $273.64. I too didn't want to use the newer (ending with 125 I believe) MAF because I didn't want to go to the dealer to get an ECU reflash.

Let us know if you have any luck finding it cheaper.

Thanks.....
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i got one for sale if u want in classifieds...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #6

They to said I may have to take my car to the dealer to reflash the ecu,they were not sure though ?Funny there the only ones that told me that ,the one maf I got from them was the same Bosch part # as the one in my car ,everybody on here just told me to unhook my battery for a few minutes after install ,they said I did not need to reflash ,that worked fine ,and I erased the check engine light with my actron scan tool ,now all is good runs much better

Last edited by rd400rz; 09-04-2009 at 11:19 AM.
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
u dont need to re flash it, wtf, just do the battery trick and it will be fine.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #8

Vertex Auto to the rescue. I saw their ad in Excellence with pics of MAF's so I gave them a call. They had the 99660612400 MAF exact replacement for my 2000 base for 240.00 delivered. I just put it in, and the rough idle is gone. Car runs like a top . I continue to be impressed on how this little 2.7L can push you back into the seat in the first 3 gears....

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Old 10-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #9

Makes me wonder if your TTP intake is the cause for it to fail.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #10

"Makes me wonder if your TTP intake is the cause for it to fail."

I was always concerned about that as well. As you have to oil the filter element and too much oil may bugger up the MAF. But, I have put on about 40K with the TTP intake and the same MAF. I have heard of MAF's failing with stock intakes in less than 40K.

Ed

Old 10-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Ed,

Thanks for the update. Nice to know I can get the 124 MAF if needed for a decent price!

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote