Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #1

How should I respond to the Nissan 370Z?

I love my Boxster S and I'm probably going to buy a newer one, or a Cayman S, next spring. However, the performance of the Nissan 370Z has made me ask the question, "why am I paying so much money for a car?" In the end, all I can come up with are personal reasons why I prefer the Porsche, and almost nothing quantifiable.

How can I argue with my relatives when they ask me, "why did you buy a Porsche when a 370Z is just as fast at half the price, is probably more reliable and cheaper to maintain?"

Is the 370Z a "game changer"? Is it the meteor that has hit the dinosaurs?

boxster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #2

Comparisons I've read in the car mags

never had the 370Z winning. That would be my answer. Now whether there is enough of a difference to justify the price difference is another story...one you and I may answer differently. But go to the comparisons and you'll get list of high and lows.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7659

The short answers...noise visibility, handling, balance and refinement.

Not that the 370Z isn't a nice car for the $.,
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #3

Box one, my answer? When I could only afford my 280ZX (SINO sports car in name only), I dreamed of a new 300. I even drove one and a corvette. When the bonuses started rolling in what did I get? a 944. It was a slug compared to a 300 or a vette, but it had Porsche handling, design and it handled better at high speed than either in my opinion and was far smoother over rough pavement than that year's vette.

When I see a early 300 today the design looks dated, plastic gimmicky looking, not classic in any sense, that entire rear sheet of plastic is lame. When I see a well kept 944, especially a turbo, I still think it's a very happening car. I'd much rather have my slower 2.5 boxster than a 370, I am sure however that the 370 goes like snot.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #4

Simple

"Porsche. There is no substitute."

To those who know no explanation is necessary. To those who don't, no explanation will suffice.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #5

In the end, there is no argument. You drive, what you drive. Why try to defend it to someone else? If they are not paying for your car, they have no real input to provide.

Just drive what you want.

BTW-I am a fan of both cars.

Enjoy!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #6

Why choose a Lotus over a WRX STi? An Aston Martin instead of Pontiac GTO? A house in Bel Air when you could get a perfectly nice place in Bakersfield?

I'm not knocking the 370Z - I may buy one for my wife eventually, as that's one of her two dream cars (the other is an Aston, and I don't make that kind of bank). Porsche makes luxury sports cars - the allure is varying proportions of performance, exclusivity, and emotion.

If the decision is purely financial, the Z makes absolute sense. If you are fortunate enough that the decision isn't just about money, you get to factor in all of those intangibles that make owning a Porsche a joy.

The autorev feature on the new Z is brilliant, by the way.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #7

Grab a copy (or read online) the October 2009 Motortrend. The '09 Cayman PDK is rated by Motortrend as 2009's Best Driver's Car. The competition included the Audi R8, BMW 135i, Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette ZR-1, Camaro SS, Ford Shelby GT-500, Jaguar XFR, Mazda MX-5, and the Nissan 370Z Nismo.

MotorTrend editors' consensus: The Cayman S PDK may be the best sports car ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster1
Is the 370Z a "game changer"? Is it the meteor that has hit the dinosaurs?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
"Porsche. There is no substitute."

To those who know no explanation is necessary. To those who don't, no explanation will suffice.
Well said Schnellman!
I have owned a Z and an MX5, nice cars both but there is just something about a Porsche...

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
At the end of the day it's just a Nissan.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #10

LOL... well Porsche's have never been the best performance bang for the buck and they never will be. Corvettes still hold that title and Nissan's 370 is somewhere in between.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #11

The Z is inferior, the only advantage is price.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #12

All of my cars have been bought based on my heart and passion. Not speeds and feeds. I guess it just depends on how you buy your cars. I also don't ever have to explain why I buy what I buy as it is my decision, not someone else's.

If I look back at all of the cars I have owned, I have no regrets.
Lets see
1974 Dodge Colt - well I didn't buy this one, it was a left over from my father, but really liked it
1976 Honda Civic - first used car....great car
1978 Renault R5 Sport - my first new car and my first standard. Loved it
1986 Mazda 323GT - First family car after getting married. Loved it
1990 Mazda Protege GT - first sedan. Loved it
1994 Miata - First sports car. Loved it even more
1996 Chevy Blazer. First American car. Made a great winder vehicle
1978 Ferrari 308 - dream come true. Nuff said
1997 Miata - sold the first one when I got the Ferrari, really missed it so wife let me get another one
2000 Subaru Forrester - Great winter family car
2004 Miata - traded the 97 in for it...another great one
2000 Damon Intruder - 37ft RV for those who don't know. V10, lots of torque and sleeps 6.
2005 and 2006 Ford Escape - company car, didn't have to pay for it, and a nice winter family car
2004 BMWx3 - moved to the US, great AWD family car
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i - sold the miata before moving to the states, this was it's replacement. Very nice and quick car
2003 Boxster S - tired of the rough ride on the Z4 and got my first Porsche.

As you can see, only a few practical cars in the lot, but all were great. At least in my eyes. Stop worrying about what others think and buy what makes you want to go for a drive. and enjoy. BTW I never liked nissans...but that is just me.

JP
JP308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #13

Three things I have noticed about owing a porsche are as follows, First: the styling is timless. A 1997 looks as modern as 2009 mustang, Secondly: How many others do you see when you drive down the road? (mustang like every 10th car). and Lastly: I always seem to get more than a kiss goodnight after a first date (but I attribute that to my skills)

But seriously, drive the nissan and see what you think. If you can survive LAP (life after a porsche) then do it. Just make sure you have no regrets!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 09-24-2009 at 05:00 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #14

One fully rejuvenated, back on the prowl for unknowing MG's, 124 sport says, go with the timeless design, seems to work for Pininfarina.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee32/firesphotons2/?action=view&current=005.jpg

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-24-2009 at 05:50 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #15

Very sweet classic. Gotta love 'em!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #16

Yeah, I was just about to refer to this. Go with a Cayman!
If you don't have to think about the money, THEN BUY WHAT YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
Grab a copy (or read online) the October 2009 Motortrend. The '09 Cayman PDK is rated by Motortrend as 2009's Best Driver's Car. The competition included the Audi R8, BMW 135i, Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette ZR-1, Camaro SS, Ford Shelby GT-500, Jaguar XFR, Mazda MX-5, and the Nissan 370Z Nismo.

MotorTrend editors' consensus: The Cayman S PDK may be the best sports car ever made.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
onshore

Japanese Cars

I've test driven several Japanese cars and they are wonderful techno boxes and I don't mean that as a put down. They are hard to beat for cost of upkeep and some of the styling is really excellent. Every time I've test driven one I've gone and test driven a German car and bought the German. It's hard to put a finger on but there is just something raw about them that says sports car in your soul. Before I bought my '99 Box I drove a used Z, a Prelude, a Lexus, two Mini's and a turbo Golf (I know the last two aren't Japanese) but when I got into the Boxster and put the top down hit the throttle and heard that exhaust note it was all over. They ain't cheap to keep for sure but I find myself looking for excuses to go driving and even short excursions to the market can turn into all day drives if I see a road that heads back into the hills.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #18

I get to travel a fair amount and I always rent from Hertz (company required). Every now and then I will burn some of my points and get myself a Hertz Prestige Car. Recently I took out a 350Z convertible and I have to admit it has some impressive features. It was faster than the Boxster and it had tight handling. My apologies to Hertz, because I drove it for all it was worth over my 3 days.

It reminds me of a doctor I once dated. She was nice looking and had all the credentials on paper, but she lacked the total package. I feel the same way about the Nissan. Technically amazing and brutally quick, but it was no Porsche.

I'll probably loose the stoplight grand-prix every time, but my 1997 2.5 Boxster is still the better car even though it also has too much plastic in the interior. I would love to run my 12 year old Boxster against a 12 year old Nissan. I may still lose, but the Porsche has class and is better engineered. I will always be happier than the Nissan owner.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer

Last edited by 2TrunkSteve; 09-26-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Mispelled word
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #19

Keep the Boxster and with the money you save by not buy a new Boxster, buy the Z.

So you have 2 sports cars? The neighbors already don't like you because you own a Porsche.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #20

After having thought about it for a long time and reading the many good comments left here, I've developed a few ideas. First, after owning the Boxster S, I can't live with a sports car that doesn't have a mid-mounted engine. Secondly, I have to agree with everyone who talked about the classic looks, appeal and distinctiveness of a Porsche. Finally, if I'm really concerned about being one of the faster cars around I'll buy something like the Cayman RS package from Autofarm.co.uk.

boxster1 is offline   Reply With Quote