Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Carmax...

So I go to take my car in today. 01' 986 S,6-spd. 60k in GREAT mechanical shape,front end could use a paint though. I take my car in,dude comments on how smooth my car is to drive....comes back with a offer for $8k.....says my car has been repainted....all of it. I said show me what your talking about,he goes to open my driver door and points to the unsmooth section of the paint in the door sill area.......I just left,I knew all 9x6s were like that. I come home to look at my Dad's 01 c2 w/ 30k that is pampered and still smells new....his has the same exact marks.

What a waste of my time.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #2

And you went to Carmax for what reason?

Ok to buy a used Toyota for the kids, but really.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Carmax exists solely to make you feel better, as you never actually have to meet the poor bastard who buys that used car you beat the snot out of.

Carmax is like that crazy ex-girlfriend with low self-esteem you call after nine beers... it's a last resort you use, against your better judgement, when nobody else will say "yes".
Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

What a jerk....

I will give you $8,150.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #5

Just a helpful tip from an Ex-car guy (8years)

Don't Ever, never, ever TRADE in a car!!

If you do you are a fool, because you and your money will soon be parted!! You will save a minimum of $3,000. The only exception was cash for clunkers (sort of). If you really had a true clunker and the government gave you some of my money for it, well that isn't really a trade, thats a mercy kill!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #6

I'd love to keep my ride....but I've got a itch for a massive toque whiplash....gen II Viper or c5(I'd mod the hell out of a c5) or c5 Z06
Old 09-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
Fred Demara

many years ago a woman told me she was taking her car to carmax if she couldn't find a buyer in two days. I told her I would go with her to carmax, and give her 1,000 more than they offered.

This was for a truck, she was asking 17,000 - carmax offered her 9,000. She took the offer sheet, tore it up, swore, and stormed away.

....if you take your car to carmax, they are going to give you a lowball offer, this is how they make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt

What a waste of my time.

Last edited by Fred Demara; 09-19-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
.....says my car has been repainted....all of it. I said show me what your talking about,he goes to open my driver door and points to the unsmooth section of the paint in the door sill area.......I just left,I knew all 9x6s were like that.
I wonder if this is something that changed by model year. My sills seem smooth and shiny. I doubt it is worth going back to Carmax and talking to them though. The offer they made says, "We don't want your car."

The previous owner of my car asked Carmax for an estimate before selling it to me. I found it with the maintenance receipts he gave me. It was about $1000 less than I paid for the car, but it didn't seem to be a blatantly low-ball offer like you received. It made me wonder if I paid too much even though I paid less than the private-owner sales prices on all the on-line pricing sites.

Of course the car has depreciated quite a bit in the last 3 years and the market is very soft right now.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 09-20-2009 at 06:33 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 AM   #9

Unfortunately, now is the not the market to sell a Boxster or 996, for that matter; you will take a beating on both.

But looking to buy? There are some great deals to be had out there. Where can you get such a great sports car for so cheap (ties into post about purchasing a Boxster for under $20k). MIne will stay in the garage and be driven...just broke 17k miles!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I wonder if this is something that changed by model year. My sills seem smooth and shiny. I doubt it is worth going back to Carmax and talking to them though. The offer they made says, "We don't want your car."
Check on the outmost part of the sills,closest to the rocker panels. Not the entire sill area.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Unfortunately, now is the not the market to sell a Boxster or 996, for that matter; you will take a beating on both.

But looking to buy? There are some great deals to be had out there. Where can you get such a great sports car for so cheap (ties into post about purchasing a Boxster for under $20k). MIne will stay in the garage and be driven...just broke 17k miles!

+1 on the wrong market to sell in. I bought(stole) mine a few months ago for well under half of book value. I have bought and sold many cars(not including the dealerships I worked for) and have found the best way to sell a car, is to advertise in the closest big city's news paper. Just be careful of conartists. I would find a well populated spot, preferably near a cop shop, to show them your car. Never let them come to your house. You might want to try the classifieds on here and other boards as they would be safer. Good luck

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote