Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Another `speaker` question .. door and dash

Hey guys,

I dont know much at all about car audio, complete newbie, but I do know enough to recognize that I dont like how the stock stereo sounds. I listen to alot of 'hiphop', rap and techno, so I need the `boom`.

I read as much as I could on here, before my brain shut down, and here the 2 things I learned.

- Open top = ****************ty soundstage
- Anything other than 5.25 in the door will require custom work
- I dont know enough learn enough to not f' up unless I post specific questions

Door Speakers

1. I know that several members recommend going to 6.5 in the door, especially if I want the `boom` for my type of music, but this is going to need custom baffles created. Will I get raped at the install shops for this kind of customization?

2. How would a 6.5" door speaker be in comparison to a nice (or what I think is nice) 5.25" component set with door tweeters like the Infinity Kappa 50.9cs OR JL VR525-CSi? What about installation cost of the tweeter into the door?

Dash Speakers

1. What sizes should I be looking at? 3.5" ? 4" ?

2. Do I have to buy a set with tweeters too or is the dash tweeters considered a separate speaker?

3. Assuming I go the 5.25 component set route for the door speakers, then would having 4 tweeters have any potential negative impact?

Thanks for reading all this.

I AM a newb to car audio, so please be gentle in your reply.

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #2

For the speaker rings, have a look here:
http://shop.selectproducts.com/diy/items.asp?CartId={7283C9D1-5D34-4A09-9BBEVEREST8-A5426780C0AF}&Cc=MDF

DISCLAIMER - I haven't looked at the speakers & fitment in the Boxster, so I'm not sure if these would be a direct fit.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #3

Is speaker rings the same as baffles?

I did see some premade baffles on that link. Was that what you were trying to show me?
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #4

They have both speaker rings to allow more depth (or create a custom fiberglass enclosure):

and baffles for creating a custom tweeter+mid kick panel or replacing the dash setup:
Old 09-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #5

I just put in a set of Boston Acoustic RC420 4" in the dash, the improvement was extreme, my muddy sounding speakers are now clear and loud.

Next week I am installing a set of Boston Acoustic Z6 6.5" speakers in the door.

Per my install guy, it is not that difficult of an install. He does all of the custom installs for RUF so he has done this kind of thing before.

All components are powered by a JL 450/4 amp and an Alpine IVA-W505 head unit.

I will let you know how it all comes out next week
Old 09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #6

The stock speakers aren't very good quality and way underpowered.

I did a 3-way component set (MB Quart) back in '03 just after I got my '02. It took a little work to get all the speakers in the stock baffles but there are 6 1/2" in the door, 4" mid and 1"tweet in each dash location. I'm a big fan of the JL C2, C5, and ZR.

You can do a 2 way since JL no longer has a 3 way set and put the woofer in the door and the tweet in the dash. A generic rule of thumb is that the larger woofer you get (in a proper enclosure) the more and deeper bass you'll get.

The important thing to remember is that all the speakers need to be sealed in a baffle (the air in the front of the speaker can't touch the air in the back of the speaker). And in any car with a lot of road noise, an amp is very important.

Last edited by Drewster; 09-15-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote