Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM   #1

Sport Chrono 0-60?

while looking for my new (used) boxster and options I might want, I was curious if anyone knows if the Sport Chrono option (maybe in combination with PCM?) can be used to capture 0-60 times since the speed is recorded digitally anyway and the "chrono wart" keeps the time.

I know it is really for logging lap times, something I would never use, but if it would do the 0-60 thing I might actually have fun with that feature.

Also, how do you start the clock? a button somewhere?

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #2

Sport Chrono is all manually controlled (on & off and splits). You use the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. Not extremely user friendly or intuitive either.

How are you going to steer, shift, watch the road, and operate the Sport Chrono in about 5 seconds??

I hope you are not buying the Boxster for 0-60 times. You will be sorely disappointed. There are much better choices and cheaper options, if that is your ultimate goal.

Sport Chrono is a great option. Not too expensive in the Porsche world. But, greatly misunderstood.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Sport Chrono is all manually controlled (on & off and splits). You use the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. Not extremely user friendly or intuitive either.

How are you going to steer, shift, watch the road, and operate the Sport Chrono in about 5 seconds??

I hope you are not buying the Boxster for 0-60 times. You will be sorely disappointed. There are much better choices and cheaper options, if that is your ultimate goal.
No, I'm not buying the Boxster for 0-60 times. But then Road&Track got a 0-60 time of 4.1 seconds for PDK equipped 2009 Boxster S. Not too disappointing to me ---that's 997 territory, even turbo not too long ago. The game has changed for the Boxster if you're willing to shell out the extra cash. But for me, it's all about the whole driving experience: road feel, handling, the sound etc... acceleration is much lower down the list. we each enjoy different aspects of driving. I personally would enjoy playing around with the 0-60 feature (if it were more user friendly) just to challenge myself to get better at launching, shifting the manual tranny faster etc... just an added game on my way to work.

Seems like Porsche could have made a system that starts the clock when you nail the go pedal and spit out the time on PCM when hitting a specified speed. so thanks for the info---sounds like that is probably not the case.

I do understand what this option can do for the driving experience, I just didn't read anything about this particular idea hence my question.

Last edited by CRCGuy; 09-15-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
The accelerometer based G-Tech does a credible job of logging 0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile times for about $200. You can use it in any car and it can give shift light info too. If launch and speed trap are important to you give it a look.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
The accelerometer based G-Tech does a credible job of logging 0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile times for about $200. You can use it in any car and it can give shift light info too. If launch and speed trap are important to you give it a look.
+1

http://www.gtechpro.com/

It's a fun toy for a short while. I haven't used mine in years.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #6

I took my 987 to Brumos for the first 20k service (@31k because it was certified at 11k). Got a 09 Cayman with PDK for loaner. Those buttheads!!
Too much to explain, just go drive one, that is if you're ready to shell out for a new car!!
Sport Chrono in combination with PDK gives you another sport setting for the trans and launch control. The Cayman didn't have it but it was still awesome!
I must say I like my Box, all around, better than the Cayman, but the PDK just must be experienced!!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

You need Sport Chrono if you want to use launch control with PDK.

"Includes analog and digital chronometer, sport button in center console also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door locking to suit personal preference. NOTE: In combination with PDK the price is $1320."

HEY, extra $360 included in the price for PDK lovers! :dance:
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
You need Sport Chrono if you want to use launch control with PDK.

"Includes analog and digital chronometer, sport button in center console also adds ability to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door locking to suit personal preference. NOTE: In combination with PDK the price is $1320."

HEY, extra $360 included in the price for PDK lovers! :dance:

It's actually more than that for launch control! You need Sport Chrono Plus which itself is the same cost but that requires you to add PCM w/navigation--- a $3000 option!

That's why all the test vehicles getting these low 4's are all stickered at $70k plus. you're out almost $8k just for PDK, SC and PCM. what cracks me up is if you get PCM/nav the added cost for iPOD connection goes up to $440 from $95! it's crazy and my only true criticism of Porsche--they really need to keep things more reasonable.

I did drive the PDK and it really is a thing of beauty. you can leave it in automatic mode and honestly, you could not do a better job at picking the right gear at the right time. Even under performance driving. You brake hard in prep for a turn and when throttling out, the right gear is there for you every time. The ONLY reason not to get this option is if you just enjoy the fun of rowing your own. And I think that's me.

As for the G-tech, I hadn't thought of that. good idea. but means I need another gadget stuck on somewhere. Would be nice to have it built in like SC. But you're all correct. I would probably get tired of it after a few weeks anyway.

Last edited by CRCGuy; 09-15-2009 at 09:00 PM.