Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #1

Question coolant leak at front of front right wheel

hi could anyone help me please i have a 99 boxster iv had it about 6 month and i love it.i had a coolant leak at the right rear wheel well when i got the car and i replaced the expansion tank and it sorted it but now iv got another coolant leak from in front of the front right wheel well but it only leaks intermitantly and only when iv been out in the car and just turnned the engine off.my friend has a 98 boxster so i borrowed his expansion tank cap but im still getting the problem.if anyone has had this problem or can help i would be verry greatfull.... thanks.

semirapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #2

It isn’t a leak, it is condensate from your air conditioning system and totally normal……….
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #3

If coolant on the ground, then you may have a leak from your radiator, a hose or connection. Hit any curbs hard lately? Hope not.

If just water, then most likely just condensation from the a/c system as JFP suggested.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #4

hi again.i havnt had the a/c running and im having to top the expansion tank up after its done it so its definatly coolant.iv done 80k in it today and its not done it at all but when it does it pours out.il have to try and get under the car and check the hoses and radiator but it just seems strange that it never leaks untill i stop the engine.thanks again.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by semirapid
hi again.i havnt had the a/c running and im having to top the expansion tank up after its done it so its definatly coolant.iv done 80k in it today and its not done it at all but when it does it pours out.il have to try and get under the car and check the hoses and radiator but it just seems strange that it never leaks untill i stop the engine.thanks again.

If you have positively determined the leak is coolant (by color or smell of glycol), and it is near the front wheel, you probably have a leaking radiator on that side. Time to put the car up in the air and start removing panels to have a look.........
Old 09-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #6

iv had a look today and its the right radiator thats leaking.iv ordered one.thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #7

i've got a leaky water pump.... i have the same symptom as you in that it only leaks after I shut off the car. i believe since once the car is running, it heats up, coolant expands, and it's all under pressure... so when you get home and shut off you are leaking

i'd get it fixed. my car is not being driven now until I get mine to get fixed. I'd HATE to have it finally blow, dump all your coolant, and ovreheat before you coudl get it shut of. given how $$$ it is to repalce an engine, I'd hate to neglect a fix like this only to have it cause it to overheat and cuase damage..... some failures just happen and are unavoidable...this is one you can avoid by fixing it now.

good luck.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i've got a leaky water pump.... i have the same symptom as you in that it only leaks after I shut off the car. i believe since once the car is running, it heats up, coolant expands, and it's all under pressure... so when you get home and shut off you are leaking.
You have a water pump that is leaking by the right front wheel? I'd really like to see how that works.....................
Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #9

thanks for your help everyone i replaced the right radiator last night and its sorted the problem...
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by semirapid
thanks for your help everyone i replaced the right radiator last night and its sorted the problem...
Thought so.............