Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #1

The Legend, final chapter...

At one of MI's famous road construction sites - a hap hazard assortment of orange barrels and lane changes - the legend took it broadside. Looks like the end. Most of the damage was to the door but rear quarter and rocker panel will need to be replaced. With a 2001, and the cost of new parts it doesn't take long to total it out.

So my question(s) is how best to approach this with the insurance company? Any one experienced here? Should I take the car and part it out? Try and fix it with salvage sheet metal? Take the money and start shopping for "Son of Legend".
The first glance estimate from the collision shop was 13K and counting - all sheet metal and the door interior.

Oh and most importantly - other driver not a scratch and I escaped with a single bruise on my elbow. Side airbag and belt worked to perfection. Same intersection claimed the husband of a friend of mine so as sad as I am to see the p-car go - damn fortunate to be able to tell the story and live to drive again.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Fred Demara

who's your insurance?

1) Get your receipts for service together

2) print the KBB retail value

3) pull 3 of the highest comp sales within a 100 mile radius

Meet the adjuster at your car, and make sure you present him with all three.

Amica, State Farm, Famers insurance, and you'll be fine - Geico tends to screw it's clients without the lube (in my experiences with them, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend

So my question(s) is how best to approach this with the insurance company? .
Old 09-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about the demise of "the legend", but glad to hear you're OK.

Was the other person at fault? If so and if the person has reputable insurance, you should end up fine. The insurance co will want to do everything they can to make you happy so this incident doesn't end up in court. They should give you a very good settlement for your car. This will be one instance where the higher prices listed in the various car pricing guides will work to your benefit. Don't be surprised if they offer you more than book value. But they will want you to sign a release saying you'll not sue them.

With a generous settlement, the economy still sputtering, and the end of convertible weather approaching, you should be able to find a nice replacement.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #4

Quote: "Was the other person at fault?"

Posted by husker boxster.

If it was the other guy's fault, hopefully you had the presence of mind to complain about neck and back pain as soon as you got out of the car...You did do that, Right?

That's one of those little things that comes in handy when you start negotiating with the other guy's insurance company.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Sorry to hear about the demise of "the legend", but glad to hear you're OK.

Was the other person at fault? If so and if the person has reputable insurance, you should end up fine. The insurance co will want to do everything they can to make you happy so this incident doesn't end up in court. They should give you a very good settlement for your car. This will be one instance where the higher prices listed in the various car pricing guides will work to your benefit. Don't be surprised if they offer you more than book value. But they will want you to sign a release saying you'll not sue them.

With a generous settlement, the economy still sputtering, and the end of convertible weather approaching, you should be able to find a nice replacement.

A couple of years back I was in an accident where the other driver was at obvious fault and my vehicle was a total loss. I thought then the same as you at the time, boy was I wrong. The other driver's insurance company (a reputable one) made an offer (which I felt was low) and that was it, no negotiation. We ended up having to go through subrogation (in effect a claim on your policy in which your insurance company goes after the other's). I have never sued anyone in my life, but that experience would make me consider it in the future.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #6

Where did it happen? I was through Ann Arbor 2 weeks ago and saw the usual "cluster f___" of barrels.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #7

A friend of mine wrecked his Carrera at the track. It was totalled, but he bought the wreck from the insurance company and stripped it in his garage. He eBayed the parts and made more off the parts than it would have cost him to replace the car. He came out way ahead. That may be something to consider if you have the space.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #8

the numbers

Insurance company called (a reputable one) as I suspected it will be totaled.
For my MY 2001 Boxster with 93K miles they are offering 15K.
Salvage value is 5K.
Estimate to fix 13K - new door, rocker panel, new rear quarter panel at a min. Damage was (as far as I can tell) just to side sheet metal.

Would have to sell a lot of parts on eBay to get $5K - I would think and considerable time and effort.

Also doesn't seem to make sense to fix it, I could use salvage parts but still would need a collision shop as this is well beyond my DIY capabilities or time.

So take the money and run - and start shopping for a replacement?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #9

Sitting here on the plains of Nebraska, $15K for a base 01 with 93K mi seems pretty reasonable. IIRC there have been several new members who purchased 2001s this year, so you could check previous posts for what they paid. But it doesn't matter what we think, it's your decision. Hopefully it works out for you.

Heck, kick in an extra $2-$3K and you could probably find a nice 03 to take the "Son of Legend" mantle.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
A friend of mine wrecked his Carrera at the track.
Why do I always hear stories of people wrecking their 911 at the track?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #11

oh yea

Sounds much better to say mine was wrecked at the track than a guy missed a light amid a cluster f%*$ of orange cones, lane changes and construction equipment. I will use that one when I tell the tale to the ladies and young children.

In any event, had the wake today, off to the salvage yard she goes. So after a suitable morning period - I will be back on the market looking for a new ride.

btw - the last thing ever discussed on this forum is p-car safety (this aint't volvo world) but the collosion shop was pretty impressed when I got out without a scratch.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #12

Good move on letting her go. You might be able to make some bucks salvaging her, but you'd spend the next year making daily / weekly trips to the FedEx, UPS, and USPS stores. Instead you can begin the hunt for the next Legend and enjoy her when you find her.

Have you settled on a price? Just thought of something. Maybe you should try for an extra $1k since finding the right car will involve 1 or multiple lengthy trips. These cars aren't on every local used car lot. Why should you foot the bill to fly to California to buy your replacement?

Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #13

Ca

Yes good point. The quick price checks I have made indicate that not only does CA have more p-cars but the pricing is lower as well. As it happens, a local dealer had the same car as mine and was asking 16K - so I tried to get the insurance company to kick in an extra $500...said their offer was fair "for a national average" but it was low for those of us who live in the blue shadow of the "BIG HOUSE". No dice so far - didn't seem at all interested in dickering.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #14

I too am in MI (The Great Cone State). I found you can get a lot of Boxster in the upper Midwest for $15K these days. I got my "new" 2001 (non-S) with 42K for $12,500; outstanding condition and perfect service history. I think I got a good deal, but I drove several in that price range that were comparable.

If I had to do it all over again, I would focus my search solely in the North. I spent a lot of time in the South and West looking at cars. Most were driven year-round and often parked in intense heat. Typically on the early models it really shows in the interior. I didn't find that additional year-round wear and tear was factored into the price to the extent that I thought it justified as I ventured South and West. Just one man's experience.

One of the (only) advantages to living where we do is that Boxsters are almost strictly summer cars/secondary and mollycoddled as such.

Truly sorry to hear about your car but in this economy at $15K you may come out ahead or at minimum on par (not counting hassle factor, of course).

Last edited by d18mike; 09-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #15

On the lookout...

That is a good point, mine was high mileage and driven year round but that is clearly rare here. BTW on a strickly financial basis - I made out like a bandit. Probably my best investment ever.

I picked up the car for $1.00 at a sheriff auction (was under a tarp and 8" of snow). There is a reason it was called the "urban legend". But a lot of time and effort to bring it back to the point that even the guys in the collosion shop felt bad when they saw it.

So now I will begin a search for a replacement - and will happily accept any PM's notifying me of a good deal or simply providing great advice.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #16

Too bad you didnt ask the insurance company what the buy back would have been, Im not too far away. As I have family in Windsor. I could have used some parts from "the legend"

GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote