Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Serious Problem

I have a 2000 Boxster S and have owned it for approx 8 mo. I have never had any electrical problems personally with the car, but yesterday something really bizarre happened. My roomates were home and they told me that all of a sudden, they could hear a noise emitting from the vehicle. It sounded like a fuel pump and was louder around the cap area. Then they said that my lights turned on in rear and front. Also, the trunk door came unlocked and the main doors as well. Then the car had a constant horn. It was not an alarm sound but just the horn constantly on. He was able to disconnect the battery since the doors came unlocked and left it like that. Today I shut the trunk back and reconnected the battery and as soon as I did the trunk came open again. About a minute later, I heard the same noise which appeared to be the fuel pump. It has a clean carfax and 110k miles. I also have never let rain get inside. I have the only key so I know nobody was able to mess with anything.

What is the most likely scenario here?

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Ignition switch going out? I've seen them cause other funky electrical problems. And that fuel pump sound... are you sure it's not the motors for the interior cabin that you normally hear when you turn the car over?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #3

its not the same as when i first turn off the car and lets the fans run. Its coming from around the gas cap.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #4

Get the battery tested

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #5

Does the key work normally? If you put it in the ignition and turn it, does it start the car without anything weird? Do you have to "wiggle it" to put the key in or take it out? Once you start the car, do you have to "adjust" the key?

If you have any of the above symptoms, I would suggest you check out the ignition switch. When mine went, the radio wouldn't work sometimes, the blower would work but not the AC, random weird stuff, etc. It was an inexpensive fix. Maybe $150 installed.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #6

Havent started it since im afraid of all the fuel pumping in could have flooded something. If it was the fuel pump, would it be safe to start it? I dont want to do something irreversible. As far as turning power on, just reconnecting the battery does weird stuff without the use of the key. The key itself is fine and just turning on power seems to be ok.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
Havent started it since im afraid of all the fuel pumping in could have flooded something. If it was the fuel pump, would it be safe to start it? I dont want to do something irreversible. As far as turning power on, just reconnecting the battery does weird stuff without the use of the key. The key itself is fine and just turning on power seems to be ok.
Fuel pump just pressurizes the system... only if the injectors open does gas "flood" the intake/engine. I think you are fine to start it, but with that electrical weirdness I wouldn't go far!!! Like stay within "pushing distance" so you and your roommates can push it back into the garage.

Go advice on the ignition switch... if you DIY it will cost very little. IIRC, part is about $40.

Good luck!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #8

might be the battery, could be the ignition switch. COuld also be one of your friends messing with you. I would go with the third.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #9

I witnessed it myself...will get the battery tested. What is it about the battery that could be faulty? I just don't understand. I thought the whole purpose was to cause a potential. It's also weird that the trunk opens as soon as the battery reconnects. When I try to close it back up I have to force it in since the locking mechanism isn't released or something (not like a normal close where you just knock it down and it locks in)
Old 09-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #10

The computer can go haywire if the battery voltage drops below it's requirement. At least that's what happened on my Mazda a few weeks ago when it's battery went. Lights on the dashboard were blinking, MPH and RPM needles bouncing off their limits (engine wasn't even started).

I was expecting the mothership to beam me up...

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #11

Just guessing, but when I had my water pump replaced, my indep mechanic said I might want to think about the ignition assembly. He said all sorts of strange things could happpen when they go out.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #12

Had battery tested from AAA and he reported a normal reading. A tad lower amp level than what it's rated at but thats all. I called up a dealership and was told that they think it is flood damage. I told them that I never leave the top down when not attended and couldn't see how there could be flood damage. He told me to check behind the driver seat on the floor and sure enough it was soaked. As he suspected, what has happened is that one or more of my drains are clogged with debris and need to be cleaned out. I will need a new actuator/alarm computer + programming and new fob + programming. I was also told that this type of damage can be considered comprehensive which I have. I will wait and see if my insurance will be able to cover this. Estimated cost is 1-1.4k.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #13

Sorry, that sucks man.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
Old 09-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #14

It's not that bad. I actually needed a new fob anyway since my current one seems to drain my battery within a week. My deductible is low too so it should come out ok as long as my insurance covers it.