Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 AM   #1

it's smoking

Let me tell you what the car is doing. I was drving down the highway and the car started to somke really bad pulled over and towed the car home. read on the board about the AOS and replaced it. Now at ideal the car sounds great however there still small amounts of smoke and when you rev the motor it pours out smoke and oil is coming out of the tail pipe. the check engen ligth is not on and the car run great (other then the smoke) when I pulled the oil cap off I did here a hissing noise. it's not losing that much oil may down a quart if that. Even the oil light is off.

any other ideas on what I should look at? I'm sure it's time to take it to the shop but wanted to see if there was anything esle I souldh check before doing that.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Let me tell you what the car is doing. I was drving down the highway and the car started to somke really bad pulled over and towed the car home. read on the board about the AOS and replaced it. Now at ideal the car sounds great however there still small amounts of smoke and when you rev the motor it pours out smoke and oil is coming out of the tail pipe. the check engen ligth is not on and the car run great (other then the smoke) when I pulled the oil cap off I did here a hissing noise. it's not losing that much oil may down a quart if that. Even the oil light is off.

any other ideas on what I should look at? I'm sure it's time to take it to the shop but wanted to see if there was anything esle I souldh check before doing that.
Jaime, just had the same situation happen to me over the weekend. I couldn't wait for Sunset to ship my order since the last AOS was sold right before I called so went to the local Porsche dealer and picked one up for $104. When my AOS went out I had my check engine light come on before the whole smoke thingy happened. I pulled over and turned the engine off and heard what sounded like air or fluid rushing out. I was like damn did my engine just die? Went out and checked oil and coolant levels and appearance. Everything was ok so tried to start it up and everything was fine except for all the smoke. Figured it was AOS. Changed it out yesterday and cleared the two codes (coming from o2 sensor due to oil) fired up the car and puff smoke.... smoke.. and more smoke.. but the engine idled fine as it always has... waited about 5 mins and the smoke was decreasing as time went by. took it for a drive, no cell, no hesitation. Powered it up this morning and still some puff of smoke but all in all I think its just oil residue left from the previous AOS. Drove the car today for 20 miles and once the initial puff went away it was all good. One other place of leak that usually happens when AOS fails is the oil filler tube but lets hope not as that is a PITA to do.
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

thank you for the info.

I think I'm going to take it around the block when I get home and try it out.

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote