Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

DeutschepartsUSA

I've been visiting with Deutcheparts USA via eBay and they've been very responsive to my issue about the torn bushings on the drop links I purchased from them a year ago.

In fact, they've stated they will replace mine at no charge. I've yet to receive the replacements, but they've been quite good about communication so I am confident I will see them soon.

I'll return to this thread to report back on the receipt.

They must have had a bad batch of parts last year. These are OEM parts and not cheap knock offs.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #2

That company sounds like one somebody posted a warning about here or on RennTech. Hope not!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

Garage
I bought some window switches from them last year (for my old 968). They were not OEM, but were cheap knock-off. As a matter of fact, one of the switches was defective and I had to rewire it myself. They offered to swap it out, but it was easier for me to do it versus returning in and waiting for the replacement.
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

They have had some bad press here on 986forum.com and other web sites, but they're being good to me so I thought I'd at least give them some credit where it is due.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #5

Same here, bought an ignition switch from them... was definitely faulty, did not work, right off the bat... paid to ship it back to them, never got a refund or anything... wasted money on buying it plus shipping, wasted extra money on shipping it back.... never got a refund, plus lost the product...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #6

I emailed them about my drop links and they didn't respond. I need to replace them but don't feel to confident in there parts. looking for other options
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Today I received two free replacement drop links. Asked for four, but I'm happy to get what I did from them. I'll definitely put these on the front where I'm hearing the most racket.

They are not OEM but made by Hamburg Technic Germany, by the way.

I'll report back on how long they last.

DeutchePartsUSA did follow through though (with two pieces). I gotta give them that. And after their warranty expired as well.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #8

Hamburg Technic is DeutscheParts' "house brand." As far as I could tell, HamburgTechnic has an address in Germany, but there is no clear evidence that they actually make any parts there. The water pump that I bought from them earlier this year was advertised on Ebay as "OEM supplier", but when I saw the HamburgTechnic name I called BS on that. It was clearly a knockoff of the OEM pump. Fortunately, I did not attempt to install said pump, but returned it (un-used in original packaging) for a refund per their terms of sale. At least with the genuine Porsche pump from Sunset, I know what I'm getting...

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
How do you know you have worn out drop links? Do they exhibit noise over bumps or something like that?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #10

That's a very good question.

A visual inspection showing cracks in the black rubber bushings at the top or bottom shows a need for replacement.

Another way you know they might be shot is the fact that when you go over bumps, you'll hear a clunk or noise coming from the loose travel in the stabilizer bar. It runs parallel to the axles and by way of the drop links, it attaches to the wheel carrier.

I have quite a bit of racket coming from the front when I brake and the suspension compresses, the rear when I go over speed bumps or through small potholes or cracks in the pavement, etc.

BTW, these are very easy to replace. Jack up the front or rear of the car, remove the wheels, remove two bolts (requires two wrenches to get to both sides of the bolt and nut), yank out the old, install the new, put the tires back on, torque them to 96 foot pounds, drop the car, and do the other end of the car. Shouldn't take more than an hour if you have all the right tools for the job.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
That's a very good question.

A visual inspection showing cracks in the black rubber bushings at the top or bottom shows a need for replacement.

Another way you know they might be shot is the fact that when you go over bumps, you'll hear a clunk or noise coming from the loose travel in the stabilizer bar. It runs parallel to the axles and by way of the drop links, it attaches to the wheel carrier.

I have quite a bit of racket coming from the front when I brake and the suspension compresses, the rear when I go over speed bumps or through small potholes or cracks in the pavement, etc.

BTW, these are very easy to replace. Jack up the front or rear of the car, remove the wheels, remove two bolts (requires two wrenches to get to both sides of the bolt and nut), yank out the old, install the new, put the tires back on, torque them to 96 foot pounds, drop the car, and do the other end of the car. Shouldn't take more than an hour if you have all the right tools for the job.

Thanks! Because I was just about to ask for this! I ordered rear links from them this spring and had them installed (1.5 hours of labor.) I need to do the fronts now, but if I can do it myself, then I will. I think this seller is ok so far. I guess we'll see how long my links last. I was very close to opting for Tarett's but stuck with stock.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks Randall. Well, I guess I'll wait till those noises pop up. Thx. for the detail on the swap out.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote