Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #1

Keys

Hello all,

I picked up my first Boxster on saturday, a 2.7 02 model. I need to get a second key for it as the dealer didnt have one. I beat him down on price for it, but now need to sort one out. Having spoken to Porsche its going to be c.£210.

Does anyone know of anywhere else of getting one? Porsche only seem to do the remote one, which is costly. Having scanned the net it seems this is my only option, but thought I would post here to see if anyone knew differently.

Thanks,

Den

keithmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #2

Welcome.
Dealers really gets you on a key. Ask him about a "spare key". Basically, the blade is the same, but the head (or cap) does not a remote feature.... just a little LED light.

Unfortunately, the dealers have the monopoly on keys. The car needs to be programmed to accept the keys (the little pill / RFID in the key cap)... thats why it is a dealer item.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmoon
Hello all,

I picked up my first Boxster on saturday, a 2.7 02 model. I need to get a second key for it as the dealer didnt have one. I beat him down on price for it, but now need to sort one out. Having spoken to Porsche its going to be c.£210.

Does anyone know of anywhere else of getting one? Porsche only seem to do the remote one, which is costly. Having scanned the net it seems this is my only option, but thought I would post here to see if anyone knew differently.

Thanks,

Den

Den:

Here in the states, you can take your existing key and have it "cloned" at a locksmith for about $50.

You don't get the remote features, but you can lock and unlock the door with the key and start the car.

The $50 includes the locksmith providing and cutting the blade, and putting your original key into the cloning machine to have the new one accept the code.

Although I know that there are only 4 "slots" in the car's central alarm control unit that can accept codes, I believe that the locksmith's approach is to clone (or duplicate) the code on the existing key.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #4

Is this true? Can a Locksmith cut the key and copy the key pill code thing too the new key??

dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote