Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle32
So if it the word Zeintec is stamped into the bumper it is not the original OEM Kit?
If it is a real OEM Porsche part, it would have a Porsche part number stamped somewhere on the part. Usually beginning with the numbers; 996 or 986, or 997 or 987, for example.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
If it is a real OEM Porsche part, it would have a Porsche part number stamped somewhere on the part. Usually beginning with the numbers; 996 or 986, or 997 or 987, for example.
Flavor 987 is correct. However, often times oem parts will get pirated and or copied and later marketed as being genuine. Furthermore, manufacturers who have been contracted by Porsche to produce the part, will in turn often sell them to after market companies who then put their names on them. Others will create their own version of the oem part by creating their own molds and tooling and copying it directly. These practice are very common in the industry. Take for example Gemballa's 986 front bumper. I've been informed that they essentially take the Porsche factory bumper, or an equivalent thereof, simply open up the center channel and bond a set of fiberglass splitters on the bottom edges of the bumper to create their own.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
manufacturers who have been contracted by Porsche to produce the part, will in turn often sell them to after market companies who then put their names on them.
does anyone have more information on this? This sounds like a good deal, since you get the same fit but at a fraction of the cost.

The problem I have is that the Aero Kit II is not really available anymore for the 986 Boxster and I really want to avoid Duraflex products.
Kyle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #24

I have that spoiler and it is currently being made in Carbon fiber...

I can get you guys the spoiler in fiberglass with LED brake light
($550) buyer pay shipping or SoCal pickup...brand new!!

GTmotorsport close down years ago...

email me if interested:
fu03steve@msn.com
fu03steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #25

I'm glad to hear gtmotorsports.com went under. Their stuff wasn't very good at all. I bought skirts and humps from them and found it all to be second rate stuff.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I'm glad to hear gtmotorsports.com went under. Their stuff wasn't very good at all. I bought skirts and humps from them and found it all to be second rate stuff.
well you get what you pay for...
fu03steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #27

So true. However, he charged a fair price for his stuff and didn't deliver a fair product.

Most Porsche and third-party Porsche parts and accessories are terribly overpriced because they know we paid more for our cars than Miata or S2000 owners, and we're obviously wiling to pay far more for similar items for our cars.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
does anyone have more information on this? This sounds like a good deal, since you get the same fit but at a fraction of the cost.

The problem I have is that the Aero Kit II is not really available anymore for the 986 Boxster and I really want to avoid Duraflex products.
Kyle,

Last I knew, the aero kit was available through any Porsche dealer. You should try contacting Sun Coast Porsche. Also, MA Shaw is another source to try. They have the actual oem version of the GT3 front bumper and side skirts available as well. Precision Porsche is another one that comes to mind who offers an excellent version of the oem GT3 bumper in polyurethane. I believe that NR Auto also offers the kit as well.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-28-2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #29
Bob Hindson Racing

Always try to use factory body pieces whenever possible. Often the cost savings of aftermarket gets eaten up in body labor to get things to fit properly and prep work to get a good surface to paint.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Kyle,

Last I knew, the aero kit was available through any Porsche dealer. You should try contacting Sun Coast Porsche. Also, MA Shaw is another source to try. They have the actual oem version of the GT3 front bumper and side skirts available as well. Precision Porsche is another one that comes to mind who offers an excellent version of the oem GT3 bumper in polyurethane. I believe that NR Auto also offers the kit as well.

http://mashaw.net/GalleryPages/Gallery986.html
Old 09-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #31

Thank You for all the links guys Very much appreciated.

I see, OEM parts all the way. If they just weren't so expensive.

Someone mentioned NR Auto. Do they make good parts? I know they have an Aero Kit for for 987, but have to check of they still have one for the 986. Their parts are manufactured in California, but does someone have any experience with them?

Maybe we should start a list of what after market companies to avoid.

Bad: Duraflex, gtmotors,
Good: NR Auto ???
OK: techart, zeintec
Kyle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Thank You for all the links guys Very much appreciated.

I see, OEM parts all the way. If they just weren't so expensive.

Someone mentioned NR Auto. Do they make good parts? I know they have an Aero Kit for for 987, but have to check of they still have one for the 986. Their parts are manufactured in California, but does someone have any experience with them?

Maybe we should start a list of what after market companies to avoid.

Bad: Duraflex, gtmotors,
Good: NR Auto ???
OK: techart, zeintec
Nr Auto has a very good reputation and they are nice people to deal with. In fact, some Porsche dealers actually sell their products. One can't get a much better recommendation than that.