Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #21

the boxster is better. You will like it more - for all the various reasons that have already been stated.

When I was shopping for my boxster, I also considered the S2000 and the RX8. I know the RX8 is not a roadster, but i test drove it, and I really really liked the rotary engine, and the sporty way it handled - I rationalized the RX8 as it had back seats and would be a somewaht "practical" 3rd car b/c you could get mor eusage out of it... anyway... of all these three cars...

I liked the boxster the most the boxster was the most fun. the other two cars, were "fun" and I considered them more affordable, more reliable, I could buy a newer one for the same money, etc etc..but in the end, I was buying a third car for me to have fun in - and ultimately, that meant I should buy the car that I really wanted..and what made the little hairs on the back of my next stand up, was the boxster. the way it sounds when you are running toward redline, the way it corners, the way it looks - the S2000, or in your case, the MR2 is a compromise.

Just be prepared that it will cost you more to fix it, and there is a remote possiblity of motor failure that will cost you an arm and a leg. NOt sure what you are looknig to spend, how new/old of a car you are considering if you go the boxster route - but if you have $$$ to spend you can get a CPO car from a dealer and you have no major worries for a while.... if you go the used car route - like I did, you can get a VERY good deal on a base or S model. I would suspect you could find a nice nice nice base model 986 like a 2000-2002 for $10-13k. I bet $15k gets you into a nicely equipped "S" with reasonable miles.

be patient, shop a lot, look at everything, test drive all of them, know WHAT options you want, don't want, and then find one you want and then know that you are in teh driver's seat to to speak as the market for these cars is a buyer's market all the way. have some money stashed to repair stuff that will break.

there is nothing that a good drive in the boxster can't fix. okay, that's not really true...but you know what I mean.

for me, the S2000 was too small, buzzy, had ZERO low end torque...the boxster was way classier, felt faster (even my base model), and was just an overall better car. in the end, with cars, you usually get what you pay for. look at the MSRP of a new boxster vs a similar year MR2. the Boxster was a $50k car and the MR2 was a $20k-ish car... it's no big suprise the boxster is what you will like more...

arrange to test drive them back to back...on the same day. go home and see which one you still think about when you are back home.... for me, I test drove back to back, and it was obvious which one I wanted...

good luck.

2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #22

I owned a 1986 MR2. Loved the car. Underpowered, but I loved the way it handled. It was a neon blue go-cart.

I also have a friend with a highly modded MR2 Spyder. He's bolted a Supra motor into it and the thing takes off like a scalded dog off the line. I think he's doing 0-60 in the mid 4 second range for very little cash outlay. The car was his daily driver for a long time too. He's got a carputer in it and a fully adjustable race suspension in it too. The thing can turn on a dime.

Now what I don't care for about his car is the fact that it gets squirrelly over 100 mph because the aerodynamics of the car is simply not created for triple digit speeds.

My 86 was a very cool looking car. The Spyders are not attractive at all IMHO.

But if you want a convertible you can mod the heck out of for little to nothing compared to our cars and you don't have the urge to do triple digit speeds, it's not a bad choice.

You're gonna be asked if it's your daughter's car though. I'm just sayin'
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
it gets squirrelly over 100 mph because the aerodynamics of the car is simply not created for triple digit speeds.
Mine came with Yokohoma Advans - speed rated to 150mph! What were they thinking???
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #24

If you are young enough to squeeze in and out, I vote #3, the Lotus Elise. Perfect blend of Europe and Asia
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #25

Fantastic. Many thanks for all the replies. I really didn't expect so many former MR2-S owners.

As per older threads, I have previously owned an NA miata (95) and just got out of an 08 S2000 lease. I actually preferred the miata. S2000 way too harsh for me, not only engine noise but ride on broken pavement--it's too stiff-- if that's possible (I'm talking cars people, cars!) It just wasn't for me.

So I'm down to probably my last comparision---the Spyder. And you have all made some really valid points. I also posted in the Spyderchat forum about whether that car was for me, and based on their very candid feedback, I think I agree with them and you all that I will likely have fun in the MR2-S but will always be thinking---why didn't I just get the Box?. Just like this forum they have a pretty good group of folks who tell it like it is.

So thanks again. I will still test drive one, but I think you've pulled me over the fence--on the side of which sits a beautiful red or silver late model 986 or early 987
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #26

Just wanted to mention, my wife and I are mid 30's DINKS. So I could buy a new 911 turbo if I wanted to . But we are responsible. We are planning for the future. I don't want blow my future early retirement just because of a car. I believe that this is the best time probably in my lifetime to invest in corporations (stock market). So right now, I'd rather use my cash to help grow the economy--and my nest egg. I'm looking for the most fun I can have on a moderate budget,so as Ike put it----VALUE. So I could afford a boxster and any catastrophic engine failures, but would prefer not to if there was something out there that was 95% of what the Boxster is for 50% of the cost.

What attracted me to the MR2-S is it looked like loads of fun for about $10k. Boxster will run me considerably more. But even though it's so much cheaper, I think in the end, I would have regretted it for many reasons. So I guess I'm back in the hunt for the perfect Box for me!!

Last edited by CRCGuy; 08-16-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #27

CRCGuy,

Sounds like you've made a good decision. We are in similar situations as well, and we decided on the Box after looking hard at the S2K. In a couple years we may be interested in swapping out the Box for something different, or we may keep enjoying it as we do today!

Anyway enjoy the hunt for your Box!
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941MXVET
CRCGuy,

Sounds like you've made a good decision. We are in similar situations as well, and we decided on the Box after looking hard at the S2K. In a couple years we may be interested in swapping out the Box for something different, or we may keep enjoying it as we do today!

Anyway enjoy the hunt for your Box!

we should talk. I could swap ya for my MY08 S2K!! oh wait...you already made that decision. crap....
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #29

I too am a former MRS owner, a 2000. My thoughts echo the other owners, but I will add a few tid bits (if these are repeats, I apologize, I scanned some of the responses).

I have had the opportunity to track both the MRS and my 05 Boxster. The MRS was alot of fun, being so light you could out brake nearly every car on the track. And it had decent power to around 100 mph. The MRS may hit 115 where the Boxster my hit 128 on a straight. But it behaved more like an older 911 than a Boxster in the handling department, since it is nearly a rear engined car. My only spins on a track were in the Toyota. A few friends said the Toyota was very easy to steer with the brake pedal, that skill set is beyond me, I just took their word for it. The Boxster is a joy on the track. It makes it so easy to drive fast on the track. I truly am amazed by the car whenever I drive it. Hands down, Boxster wins this one (as it should due to its cost).

With regards to reliability, the MRS had bearing starvation issues if tracked with slicks. People developed new oil pans, remote oil sump pumps and such. It was also imperative to scrap the stock manifold and install a header in its place, as the manifold precats would break apart and cause the engine to fail. The only silver lining is a used engine is $1200, compared to $12,000 with a Boxster. Advantage, Toyota.

Comfortwise, I had a Toyota TRD Sportivo suspension on mine, and it got to the point that I hated driving the car on the street. And it had 2 cubic feet of storage space compared to 10+ I think on the Boxster. The Boxster is head and shoulders above the Toyo in ride quality, fit and finish, audio sound, and cabin room.

So, I know I have a 987 and you are looking at a 986, but in either case, I think the MR2 Spyder will make one always wish they had sprung for the Boxster. But the MR2 is not a bad car. Of course I ended up selling the MR2 and buying the Boxster.
987gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:11 AM   #30

Wow this is over 11 years later, but I'm going to post as a MR2 Spyder owner with a very dear Porsche Boxter owner friend. In fact, I donated to his fundraiser to buy his Boxter. It was the car he longed for and I understood 100%.

A few years after he bought it he organized an event for Boxters and Boxter S's to meet at the Tail of The Dragon, in Tennessee / NC. I joined the event in my MR2 Spyder with 2zz engine upgrade (same Toyota engine as Lotus used for the Elise).

Together - Toyota Mr2 2zz, Boxters, and Boxter-S's, we had a great time on the Dragon.

My point?

Both the Toyota MR2 and the Boxster are fantastic cars. I've driven both. The Boxster is heavier and feels more solid, and has more luggage room. The MR2 only has room for large duffel bags in a compartment behind the seats, and a small area for 1 more duffel bag in the frunk.

The MR2 Spyder was my daily driver from 2002 to 2010. I carried computers, printers, etc. in it for my I.T. business. Where there's a will there's a way. If you love a car enough you make a way. I loved the MR2 that much. My friend loved the Boxster that much. We made our favorite cars work.

The Toyota MR2 is cheaper to own, maintain, and upgrade. Mine is currently getting a Toyota 2gr engine swapped into it, for 285 HP in a 2200 lbs total car. It will 0-60 in about 3.8 secs. If I didn't mind it being loud, I could have 310 HP, but that's not my style. Subtlety is a value.

My friend still has his Boxster and still loves it. And I definitely hope to take another road trip with him. Porsche - there is no substitute! If I had infinite bucks, I'd have a 928 in my "collection" which would include every model of Toyota MR2, the Porsche 928, the Porsche Boxter-S, the Ferrari F40, and the Lamborghini Countach.
mr2gokrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:23 PM   #31

I think it depends on what you want your car to do. Boxster is a refined ride but not a potential race car. MR2 Spyder is for those that like taking tight corners. If you want to work on cars and take them to the track then the MR2 spyder has way more potentials than the boxster. MR2 K20/k24 swaps are giving gt4 the run for it’s money. The mr2 is very peculiar about the wheels and tire setup. Lower the front, double staggered the wheels, installed proper coilovers, add a k20/k24 and you’ll have a beast at the track. Boxster S and Caymen S won’t be able to catch it. But it won’t cruise around town in style like the porsche for sure.

Vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote