Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Yeeeeeeehhhhhhaaaa,ride'm cowboy!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #22

Maybe laminar flow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
How are you determining that you have established laminar flow? At what velocities?

... is not the correct term, but rather "less turbulent flow".
I'll be posting a video later this week where you'll be able to see the increased efficiency of the TechnoTorque.
Also, the piece is designed for the lower RPMs, where additional torque is needed.
At high RPMs, let's say at 6000 RPM, a 2.5L engine will be sucking in 7,500 liters of air per minute so at this speed, efficiency is out the window. It really doesn't matter that much if the inside of the Tee is smooth or not.
But at idle (800 RPM) it's only sucking in 1,000 liters of air, or 7.5 times less air. Here the smoother the walls are the more efficient the flow will be from the low RPMs.
That's why we see an increase in Torque at lower RPMs and no change basically in the HP curve.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
Porscheectomy

Attached is a picture of a CFD (fluid dynamic modeling) model that I ran to illustrate what's actually going on in the "T". No offense to Pedro at all with the following description, I'd just like to help clear things up a bit.

The center of the air channel from the throttle body will enter the "T" and stagnate (stop) as it hits the back wall. This builds a "wedge" of high pressure air at the center of the "T". This essentially does automatically what the little plastic wedge of the technotorque does.

The shape of the wedge created by the air itself isn't necessarily ideal and will change with flow and time, so the shape of the technotorque may help to slightly improve flow, but without analysis and testing of several iterations (like CFD or a flow bench), it's lucky if it does. It can just as easily impede the airflow and hurt power.

I believe that the polishing of the runner probably has as much (if not more) to do with the power improvement than the wedge itself.

Now notice that the flow as it goes sideways entering the horizontal tube, flattens out. Leaving more than half the tube to useless recirculation. The flow at the "top" of the horizontal tube in the picture actually just flows in a big circle! We call that recirculation. This increases the air velocity, leading to pressure losses in the junction.

The big benefit to the IPD plenum isn't the wedge at the base of the "T", it's the fact that the vertical tube in my picture gradually gets wider before opening into the T and has nice, rounded edges as it transitions to the horizontal. This helps the air to make the 90 degree turn while better sicking to the walls of the tube. This makes MUCH better use of the horizontal tube volume and significantly lowers the overall pressure drop through the "T".

BTW - The plenum is the shape it is for manufacturing simplicity and cost. There isn't enough of a benefit to power or drive-ability to justify the extra cost of optimizing the part from a manufacturer's perspective. Porsche went as far as they saw prudent with cost for performance in mind. So don't think everything's perfect with this car, it's as good as Porsche decided to make it considering the costs of manufacture.

Last edited by blue2000s; 08-11-2009 at 11:06 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #24

Interesting... thanks for posting!
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #25

No offense taken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
No offense to Pedro at all with the following description, I'd just like to help clear things up a bit.
... as a matter of fact I applaud and welcome these discussions, since they help to enlighten us all.

Your fluid dynamic model of the plenum's Tee is very impressive and most likely correct, if there was no throttle body and butterfly valve controlling the airflow.

Because we have a throttle body with a butterfly valve, the flow of air into the Tee does not come from the center of the air channel, but through two crescent moon-shaped opening on the sides of the air channel. These variable openings, whose area is dictated by the position of the accelerator pedal, create all sorts of turbulence within the Tee.

When I started with my experiments I took a tee and made a clear porthole on its top so that I could see what was happening inside. Inside the Tee I had attached small streamers (much like those on the sails of a sailboat) which allowed me to see the airflow through the Tee from idle to wide-open throttle.
I also ran other visual experiments which I will document shortly with a short video showing the improved performance of the airflow.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
... as a matter of fact I applaud and welcome these discussions, since they help to enlighten us all.

Your fluid dynamic model of the plenum's Tee is very impressive and most likely correct, if there was no throttle body and butterfly valve controlling the airflow.

Because we have a throttle body with a butterfly valve, the flow of air into the Tee does not come from the center of the air channel, but through two crescent moon-shaped opening on the sides of the air channel. These variable openings, whose area is dictated by the position of the accelerator pedal, create all sorts of turbulence within the Tee.

When I started with my experiments I took a tee and made a clear porthole on its top so that I could see what was happening inside. Inside the Tee I had attached small streamers (much like those on the sails of a sailboat) which allowed me to see the airflow through the Tee from idle to wide-open throttle.
I also ran other visual experiments which I will document shortly with a short video showing the improved performance of the airflow.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
The stagnation and separation will still be present, even with the throttle plate there.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Attached is a picture of a CFD (fluid dynamic modeling) model that I ran to illustrate what's actually going on in the "T". No offense to Pedro at all with the following description, I'd just like to help clear things up a bit.

The center of the air channel from the throttle body will enter the "T" and stagnate (stop) as it hits the back wall. This builds a "wedge" of high pressure air at the center of the "T". This essentially does automatically what the little plastic wedge of the technotorque does.

The shape of the wedge created by the air itself isn't necessarily ideal and will change with flow and time, so the shape of the technotorque may help to slightly improve flow, but without analysis and testing of several iterations (like CFD or a flow bench), it's lucky if it does. It can just as easily impede the airflow and hurt power.

I believe that the polishing of the runner probably has as much (if not more) to do with the power improvement than the wedge itself.

Now notice that the flow as it goes sideways entering the horizontal tube, flattens out. Leaving more than half the tube to useless recirculation. The flow at the "top" of the horizontal tube in the picture actually just flows in a big circle! We call that recirculation. This increases the air velocity, leading to pressure losses in the junction.

The big benefit to the IPD plenum isn't the wedge at the base of the "T", it's the fact that the vertical tube in my picture gradually gets wider before opening into the T and has nice, rounded edges as it transitions to the horizontal. This helps the air to make the 90 degree turn while better sicking to the walls of the tube. This makes MUCH better use of the horizontal tube volume and significantly lowers the overall pressure drop through the "T".

BTW - The plenum is the shape it is for manufacturing simplicity and cost. There isn't enough of a benefit to power or drive-ability to justify the extra cost of optimizing the part from a manufacturer's perspective. Porsche went as far as they saw prudent with cost for performance in mind. So don't think everything's perfect with this car, it's as good as Porsche decided to make it considering the costs of manufacture.
I'm not good at fluid dynamics - but would the analysis paint a different picture for pressure versus suction?
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
I'm not good at fluid dynamics - but would the analysis paint a different picture for pressure versus suction?
Nope, same thing as far as fluids is concerned.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Nope, same thing as far as fluids is concerned.
reason for the question is that with suction, cavitation can occur whereas with push stagnation maybe but no cavitation.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #30
Porscheectomy

Quote:
reason for the question is that with suction, cavitation can occur whereas with push stagnation maybe but no cavitation.
It's more complicated than that, technically.

Cavitation refers to the phenomenon in which a liquid flow experiences local low pressure such that it changes phase to a gas. In this case, we are already talking about a gas, so there's no possibility for cavitation to occur.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #31

Is TechnoTorque wedge providing the necessary solid feature to maintain low Cg and assist air flow?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #32
Track rat

Garage
Blue
That is a good visual of what takes place inside the stock plenum. Adding a small wedge to the center may reduce the pressure zone and improve flow a bit. Testing will confirm this.

To add to what you have shown here remember that intake airflow is not a continuous stream but a pulse or wavelets that vary with RPM. As these wavelets stack up against the TEE they produce resonant standing waves which react a little differently than a continuous stream. In a well tuned intake these standing waves will reinforce intake airflow at desired RPMs. Changing the intake design and resonant frequency will sometimes cause these standing waves to impede intake airflow. As you said, testing is the key.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
All I know is that it is 650$ cheaper than a ipd plenum or rss plenum, what ever you want to call it. It is the same thing with factory parts and I think better because the abs plastic will not hold heat like a metal piece will. There are some real nice midrange gains on the ipd piece. I am not pushing ipd but the results seem great. I was hesitant from there price but I think for 260 I can manage. My .02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmLlwKD69w
I'll second that. It basically allows a stock plenum to do what the IPD one does. That said, I have an IPD with a 3.4 throttle body bolted onto my 2.5->2.9 and I do think that it made a difference, but Pedro's solution looks just as good (and cheaper).
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #34

Thanks Charles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
I'll second that. It basically allows a stock plenum to do what the IPD one does. That said, I have an IPD with a 3.4 throttle body bolted onto my 2.5->2.9 and I do think that it made a difference, but Pedro's solution looks just as good (and cheaper).
... your comments mean a lot to me.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #35

This product looks promising. Someone needs to buy it and do an independent dyno test!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #36

I buy the overall concept as a lot of people swear by the IPD/RSS/Mike's Turbo plenum that's the same type of design, just higher quality. A couple points of note though:

You've got a GTech windshield mounted device serving as hard data with such a slight difference between the curves.... Why on earth wasn't a real dyno used???

Port and polish.... come on! What exactly are you porting? The part in question is PLASTIC. How on earth are you going to really port that without making the plastic walls thinner and more brittle? Are you maybe knife edging the outlet side?

I've had the T after the throttle out on my '00 Boxster S. I must be really lucky as mine was already smooth inside from the factory.... perfectly smooth inside, no resin flash, no seams, no need for a polish. That's specifically why I had it apart, to look for a port and polish opportunity there and I saw little, if anything, you could gain without likewise porting the throttle body and also potentially compromising the integrity of the part. Because of the way the stock hoses and throttle connect I also saw no gain from knife edging the part. So I'm certainly curious as to what you've done!

Other than these points (and I am very skeptical by nature) I think the product has some real potential.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #37

I went on the web for boxster engine and found what was titled as 2007 S engine.
the drawing shows a cutaway view of the intake plenum.
there appears to be left/right fence on the main tube and what I am suspecting as a split butterfly plate that adjusts the angle with air speed?? pic attached

if so, Techno Torque features are quite in-line with latest boxster engine intake design!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I buy the overall concept as a lot of people swear by the IPD/RSS/Mike's Turbo plenum that's the same type of design, just higher quality. A couple points of note though:

You've got a GTech windshield mounted device serving as hard data with such a slight difference between the curves.... Why on earth wasn't a real dyno used???

Port and polish.... come on! What exactly are you porting? The part in question is PLASTIC. How on earth are you going to really port that without making the plastic walls thinner and more brittle? Are you maybe knife edging the outlet side?

I've had the T after the throttle out on my '00 Boxster S. I must be really lucky as mine was already smooth inside from the factory.... perfectly smooth inside, no resin flash, no seams, no need for a polish. That's specifically why I had it apart, to look for a port and polish opportunity there and I saw little, if anything, you could gain without likewise porting the throttle body and also potentially compromising the integrity of the part. Because of the way the stock hoses and throttle connect I also saw no gain from knife edging the part. So I'm certainly curious as to what you've done!

Other than these points (and I am very skeptical by nature) I think the product has some real potential.

Kirk
Let me try to go point-by-point:

The reason why I prefer the G-Tech is because you get a real-life test, where the vehicle is actually accelerating it's own mass while moving through the air.
If you first establish a base it can be quite accurate as to gains or losses.
I generally do 10 runs, throw out the high and the low and average the remaining 8.

Porting can be slight. I'm not talking 1/8 inch here, just taking out the mold seams.
I can guarantee that there are many of them on the new parts. I purchase the parts directly from Porsche and I have yet to find one without the mold seams.
You must have been very lucky to have gotten a perfect one. I've yet to see one in my 13 years of dealing with Boxsters.
Polishing and sealing is one of the best features, because it prevents oil droplets and dirt to collect on the Tee which normally they do generating air turbulence.

But, as promised, I took the time to prepare a short video on the subject, which I recommend any interested or skeptical person take a look.
I go on to explain the mechanics of the part and show some of the experiments I performed to convince myself that there are true gains of airflow efficiency.

Hope you enjoy it.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

You can see it on PedrosGarage.com TechnoTorque webpage, scrolling to the bottom of the page: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoTorque.html
Old 08-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #39

Quote:
I went on the web for boxster engine and found what was titled as 2007 S engine.
the drawing shows a cutaway view of the intake plenum.
there appears to be left/right fence on the main tube and what I am suspecting as a split butterfly plate that adjusts the angle with air speed?? pic attached

if so, Techno Torque features are quite in-line with latest boxster engine intake design!
Thanks for pointing that out.
That's one of the reasons why I couldn't get any better performance from the 987s.
Those cars were tweaked by the factory to get the most and just about any change you make will result in a net loss of either HP or Torque or both.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 08-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Oh my gosh....I was laughing soo hard at the start of your video.

I will be ordering one from you shortly.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 08-13-2009 at 08:26 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote