Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #1

To Red or Not to Red?

I just picked up a red leather interior for my car yesterday from one of our members. I got everything except the seats. I was going to do the dash, door panels and some other red accents and maybe swap the bottom of the door panels for my black bottoms. Any suggestions or people with photos of red interiors?

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #2

Did You Say Red!

Like this:
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #3

A Little Closer Up

Or this better view:
Old 08-05-2009, 12:47 PM   #4

I was thinking more of just swappin the dash and doing some red accent pieces and leaving the black seats and carpets and swapping the door panels and having the bottom of the panels done over in black.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #5

That's too red. Looks like someone took a can of red spray paint and went crazy in the interior. Red air vents? Red door latches? Sheesh!

One good thing about that car. If you decide to stab your passenger there will be no cleanup problems.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #6

SO I am going to get no real opinions on this subject? I am thinking that I am giong to put in the red dash and red door panels with my black bottoms from my black doors and maybe just the other red leather trim pieces. I think that the carpeted pieces are too pink for me. Any opinions or photos of your interiors would help.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
One good thing about that car. If you decide to stab your passenger there will be no cleanup problems.
Wrong! The good thing is that this is a one-of-a-kind 993 GT2 (1997 or 1996). Very rare. And even faster. Still considered a supercar by today's standards.

So, I think you meant to say, "If you stab the gas pedal, you will have no problems"!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #8

I can tell you what I think
It's too bright for my eyes. That one picture posted of the interior looks like somebody was murdered. It reminded me of Pulp Fiction, when Vincent shot (i forget his name atm) in the face in the back seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
I just picked up a red leather interior for my car yesterday from one of our members. I got everything except the seats. I was going to do the dash, door panels and some other red accents and maybe swap the bottom of the door panels for my black bottoms. Any suggestions or people with photos of red interiors?
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Nope

You wanted opinions. IMHO it's a no go.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:16 PM   #10

Go for it. The red is a very deluxe look with the black, I thought the carpet was a bit too orange in mine.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #11

Not sure why you care what others think, as it's a very personal opinion.

Personally, I've never understood the red interior. Looks horrible. But that's just my opinion. You should do whatever makes you happy. In the end, that's all that matters (until you try and sell the car that is).
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #12

+1 for no red interior (complete or otherwise). occassionally it can look good at first (only if the right tone and used sparingly), but in my experience, it never looks good after the sun has it's way with it for a few years---regardless of how much 303 you slather on it. And red is actually my favorite color! 7 of the 10 cars I've owned have been red (only on the outside).

I think you basically got your answer. some people like it, some people don't. I'm not sure what you were expecting. My guess is if you asked opinions on an all black or all tan interior (most common available) you would even still get dissention among the ranks.

For that reason, I rarely seek input from others regarding cosmetics (color, add ons etc..). it's pointless. But opinions on options---that's a different story--those can be of great value as they can tell you if there are mechanical or performance issues to be aware of.

Just my $0.02
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:04 AM   #13

Tricky

I always wanted silver and red, if you look at perfect laps' car, that is a stunning example to me of the red interior at its best...

however, in most show room experiences, the red interior doesn't work for me...
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #14

Great response. I did what I said I wanted to do. The dash and the door panels with black bottoms. I is in the car now but not fully bolted up. I think you will all like the results. I think it looks great.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
I was thinking more of just swappin the dash and doing some red accent pieces and leaving the black seats and carpets and swapping the door panels and having the bottom of the panels done over in black.

I think I get what you're looking to do. You don't want to swap the WHOLE interior to red, just some parts so that the red is an accent to the black, right? I think this would look GREAT! But you would have to use a LOT of control and consideration to not overdo it.

When I bought my C4S I test drove a red one with black interior and red accents. It had red seat belts, red stitching, and a couple other bits in red from the factory. Looked pretty nice. But also understated, not over the board. I don't know if I would do the whole dash in red. It's probably more work than you want to do any way. I would focus more on some of the smaller pieces.

I recently sold an old '87 Honduh CRX that was my daily driver. It had a red exterior and black interior. I painted some of the interior pieces red, got a red/black shift knob, and red/black floor mats. Overall the car was certainly rough (stripped racer), but I liked the look. Is this the kind of thing you're going for?

My new daily driver is a '72 914 with a white exterior and black interior. The PO also went for something different by working white accents into the black interior. Again, I like it a lot, all except for the power window covers with a white stripe on them. I have since removed them and painted them gloss black.

If this is what you're looking for - a black exterior with black interior and red accents, I'd say go for it but be VERY selective in what you swap to red. Don't overdo it!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #16

Here is everything just laid in just for the photo. I still have to finish the other door panel and just bolt it all back together. This is just about it for the red. I may use the two leather side pieces that surround the radio and that is it. NO red carpet.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #17

I think it looks fantastic! It's got a high end german tuner look. Sporty with some class.

I'd change out the gauge pod for a red one and the steering wheel for a three spoke version and then leave it alone.

You need to do the Carrera cluster swap too.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #18

Well this is it for now. The carrera cluster maybe soon. I would love the 3 spoke but mine works for now. I Like that the cluster is black. :O

Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #19

It looks awesome!!! And now it matches your lawn mower!!! :dance:

The red/black contrast is much more interesting than black-on-black. Good decision to use the black carpeting in the door panels. I think you struck the right balance.

Somebody was selling red seats on this forum last week ... I'd be tempted to put them in too for the final touch. The three-spoke wheels are an upgrade, but overly $$$$!!

Last edited by Gougoushu; 08-10-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #20

Nice work JAAY. I was initially skeptical but it looks good. The one part I'm unsure about is red leather surrounding the center console. But it's your car and that's a relatively minor feature.