Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 08:37 PM   #1

Post your best kill story here.

Have you ever trounced a Camaro, Stang, Rice, etc etc.....? If you have or if you have had your a** handed to you, please share alittle story for us.

The best kill I've ever had was against a LS1 equiped 02 WS6 Trans Am convertible. He was on 4 lane street next to me and he threw some revs at me to see if I was interested in a little race. There was no one around so I took him up on it to see what those things can do. I knew it was pretty quick because they have 325hp stock but they weigh around 3,700lbs so I had a big weight advantage. I have embarrassed several several LT1 camaro's and firebirds but had never raced an LS1(this is the same motor as in the C5 vette for those that don't know) so I was a bit nervous. I spotted him about about 1.5 cars and then mashed it in 2nd at about 30mph. He was ready, but I had a slight jump on him so I pulled even to him by the time I hit 3rd. We were neck and neck from 60-100mph, but I pulled ever so slightly on him right before we shut down so I consider it a victory. Frankly, I think he was a bit suprised that a lil Boxster S could do so well against his more powerful WS6 because I gave him a thumbs up after the race and he gave me a rather dirty look. I even had a passenger and he didn't so I would've had a more definative win if didn't have 170lbs of extra weight in my car. Oh well, a wins a win and that one was particulary satisfying because LS1 boys think they are hot stuff on the other forums I visit.

Last edited by Adam; 02-23-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:08 AM   #2

I beat my friends GTI VR6 up to about 110 in my 2002 non S. He was chipped, and running a modified intake exhaust system, I am all stock. Not the most intelligent thing I have done, but it was damn fun and certainly took him by suprise.
DevNull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
PSP

1. No matter how fast your car is, someone is going to have a faster car than yours.

2. No matter how great a driver you think you are, if you're racing on public streets, eventually someone is going to make a mistake.

3. Mistakes at speed on a public road very often end in death.

It's just not worth it.
PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #4

My best was against a 550hp supercharged Z06 vette I never say him after 1st gear Oh Yeah I was riding my Hayabusa but it was still a fun kill
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
1. No matter how fast your car is, someone is going to have a faster car than yours.

2. No matter how great a driver you think you are, if you're racing on public streets, eventually someone is going to make a mistake.

3. Mistakes at speed on a public road very often end in death.

It's just not worth it.

Thanks for the public service announcement. Drag racing on the street has been around as long as the automobile and no amount of preaching is going to stop it so you might as well save your breath. I try to use as much descretion as possible and if the conditions don't favor a safe race then I don't race. Anywho, back to the kill stories. Nice kills btw fellas. Your busa is sick automon.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
PSP

I'm just a little sensitive since I lost a good friend to a street racing accident and a nephew who was hit by a guy who lost control while racing and went into a crowd of bystanders.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #7

I am sincerely sorry to hear that. I hope I didn't offend you.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
PSP

No problem. One of the downsides of becoming an old fart (I'm 53) is that you've been around long enough to see the consequences of your actions - whether it happened directly to you or not.

I see from your profile that you're mid 20s - I felt similarly then too, but then you see things happen and it's not so fun anymore. This doesn't mean that I drive 35mph all the time, but I don't push the envelope nearly as much as I could.

Just make sure you pick and choose your "battles" carefully.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
PSP, definitely sorry to hear about what you and those around you have gone through as a result of stupidity and street racing.

Without going into too much detail, I also have negative associations with street racing and stories to back my opinions up. I also think that for some people it takes a tragedy or near-tragedy in their life or the life of those around them to realize how serious it is.

I won't try to put a damper on this thread, but I just wanted to say as someone who has experiences similar (although not quite the same) to those of PSP, I also think that street racing is quite stupid.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #10

three friends killed by a speeder here.
idiot Ran a light doing close to 100, they never caught the 2nd car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:37 AM   #11

I know that there are some places here in Tampa where you can "race" off the line at a traffic light. Relatively lightly traveled, newly paved, 3-lane, hard median divided roads with anywhere from a 1/2 to a whole mile before additional potential traffic. I would be lying if I said that, in conditions where there is no traffic, I never accelerated quickly at a green with a kid in a mustang next to me revving his engine. However, I am usually content with beating them off the line and then pull up at the speed limit (usually 50 or so on a road like that) and watch as they blow by me and into expensive ticket speed. However, while this behavior seems reasonably safe, there is still the chance of mechanical failure or unexpected vehicular or pedestrian traffic that could lead to an unpleasant or tragic incident. And on roads with a greater chance of potential traffic (i.e. 99.9% of the time), I wont even accelerate more quickly than usual from a light. After all, that's what a young kid on U.S. 1 in Miami did just before, at 60 mph, he t-boned a minivan that had the misfortune, and bad timing, to make a left in front of him when he wanted to peel out from a light. He was the last thing the person in the passenger seat ever saw. That person was my mother.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:37 AM   #12

Talking

Do these have to be TRUE stories? If so, I don't have any!

However, I once caught a fish that was THIS BIG...................................!

:dance:
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 AM   #13

This thread should be closed due to all the whiners and there sob stories. I am getting sick of all the "fathers" telling us not to drive fast. Get back in your Buick century and "pipe down so i don't have to pull this car over" :ah:
Automon
Old 02-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #14

We fathers need our outets too you know!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automon
This thread should be closed due to all the whiners and there sob stories. I am getting sick of all the "fathers" telling us not to drive fast. Get back in your Buick century and "pipe down so i don't have to pull this car over" :ah:
Automon
Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 AM   #15

>>This thread should be closed due to all the whiners and there sob stories. I am getting sick of all the "fathers" telling us not to drive fast. Get back in your Buick century and "pipe down so i don't have to pull this car over"
Automon

Automon,

What these "fathers" (and sons) are saying is that driving fast irresponsibly can have serious repercussions. I hope you never have to get the phone call that tells you that a loved one has been seriously injured or killed because somebody wanted to take out a vette. Have you ever seen the victim of a serious car accident?? Unfortunately, I have. And my mother was not the only one.

Look, everyone here likes to drive fast in one way or another, otherwise we wouldn't have bought a porsche. And if you want to drive fast in conditions where the only people hurt if something goes wrong are you and the person you were racing, if any, then be my guest. There are tracks and other venues where you can indulge your need for speed.

But street racing puts innocent people at risk. And, to me, someone who injures or kills an innocent bystander why engaged in a race on public streets is no better than the thug who kills someone while robbing a convience store or a drunk driver who gets behind the wheel. Each of them have caused bodily harm to another while in the commission of an illegal act. Do you seriously think that any responsible person can condone that?

Anyway, this is my last post on this subject. I am done rising to the bait.
ranbar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:11 AM   #16

Street racing takes several lives per week here in SOCAL. Has become a real issue.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:20 AM   #17

This thread definately turned into something that was not originally intended. People dont seem to have a problem with doing double the posted limit on a twisty road on here, but when the road is straight, people seem to have a huge problem for some reason.

Last edited by Adam; 02-28-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #18

"This thread definately turned into something that was not originally intended. People dont seem to have a problem with doing double the posted limit on a twisty road on here, but when the road is straight, people have a huge problem for some reason."

I agree with you Adam, I have one of the fastest production Bikes on the plant and I will tell you that I always get the sob story about "I knew a guy that had a bike and was in an accident with a car and flew in the air and landed in a wood chipper which turned him into fertilizer on the side of the road". Guy's we all know or knew someone that has been killed in some type of an accident or another and you know it slows me down for about a week, speed is in my blood and there is not anyone who can change that not even the cops.
Automon
Old 02-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
This thread definately turned into something that was not originally intended. People dont seem to have a problem with doing double the posted limit on a twisty road on here, but when the road is straight, people seem to have a huge problem for some reason.
If I ever saw two guys racing down a twisty road at 70-100 mph hour I would pull over immediately. Anyone who wouldn't do the same needs to get their heads examined. Most people who race their cars have never had any sort of formal instruction. Its like getting into a jet plane with a guy who's only watched pilots on TV.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 09:26 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
To all the voices of reason within this thread:

I think you are wasting your time. There are many (myself at one point in time, included) who can hear any sort of story in the world, and ignore it, or as another person said "slow down for a week or so". It's a shame that no matter what you say to them, they already have their minds made up.

I hope that these people never have to go through what I, and a few others on this board have, but if they do, it will DEFINITELY change their tune.

In response to the request for thread closure, the point of these message boards is to voice our opinion. My opinion is that street racing is stupid. There are other people who think that risking the lives of those around them is "fun". There's nothing wrong with us sharing our reasoning with one another.

And ranbar, about the behaviour that you described as "reasonably safe": I completely agree. There is a difference.

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote