Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #1

Radiator cooling fan

Well my passenger side cooling fan is starting to make a horible screeching noise. pretty embarrassing when you're at a stoplight and people start looking around to find the noise is coming from your car. So it's time to replace it ... the cheapest fan I have found was $160 !!!!! I saw this http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=98493 thread on another forum and was wondering if anyone has done this or thinks the bearing can be replaced?

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #2

It's certainly possible to replace the bearing, but unless you're doing the work yourself (and have the proper tools to press the old bearing out and the new one in), I suspect it would be actually cheaper to buy and install a replacement fan.

Figure $10-$15 for the new sealed bearing and a minimum of 2 hrs. shop time (esp. if you have them do the removal/installation work) @ $65/hr. (minimum) and you're right up there with replacement cost anyway, but without the new part 2 yr. warranty from Porsche.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote