Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #1

Brake Lights

Before you chastise me I've already done a search to no avail.

I have a strange situation: None of the brake lights work except the center line light located atop of the trunk. The turn signals and reverse lights work fine. What gives?

Brake light switch even when the the center line is working? I've tried cleaning all the contacts to the bulbs within the assembly with contact cleaner. Fuse is fine too. Any ideas? TIA.

Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #2

It's been a while since I repaired mine, the switch has two wires, if you touch them together mometarily, it should complete the circut and emulate a working switch, it's an easy way to rule it out.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #3

Since your 3rd brakelight works it cannot be the switch.

With a multitester check the connectors at the brakelights for 12V when the pedal is pressed.

Set the MM on continuity and check the fuse, the bulbs and the lights themselves.

That should tell you where to go.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #4

I have an issue with the passenger side brake light on my 2000. It's easy to dislodge the bulb when installing the bulb holder set. Due to the way you have to cock the bulb holder, the brake bulb can touch the lense receptical and dislodge its self. Perhaps it's just me, but I've been struggling with my passenger side brake light in trying to make it work. It'll work for a day or so, become intermittent and then just stop and I find the bulb loose in the holder. Just a thought.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #5

Just reporting back an update for future reference. Apparently the tail lights are a series circuit not parallel and more than a few bulbs went out all at once causing a widespread uproar in panic...ok just me.

Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote